CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help with rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rear brake

Hi there sorry for such a long post. Especially as this is my first.
I am sorry if this has been covered before but I have searched for ages and couldn't find an answer.
I have a 1999 F4 and as well as loads of other work that has gone well, the rear brake rebuild has left me scratching my head.
While fitting new braided hoses front and rear I noticed the rear pads and piston were shot. So replaced the lines, pads, piston, seals, pad pin, bleed nipple and springs. I smeared the piston and seal with red rubber grease as I have done on other bikes and copper greased the back of the pads. After putting it all back together and bleeding the system all looked like it was working fine. I have just been out for a 20 mile blast and when I got back I felt for leaks and noticed the disc was warm to touch. I hadnt been using the rear brake particularly hard so I was I surprised how warm it was. I also noticed that the caliper moves slightly and so do the pads when I use the brake even though everything is torqued up correctly and not loose.
To cut a long story short my questions are?
1) Is the disk warm due to new thicker pads?
2) Will it sort itself out once the pads wear down a bit?
3) Can I damage the disc if I just ignore?
4) Could it be a serious issue?
5) Is the caliper and pads meant to have slight movement when I use them
I am dubious about riding it and damaging the disk so thanks for any replies

Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by ellis cbr fx
Hi there sorry for such a long post. Especially as this is my first.
I am sorry if this has been covered before but I have searched for ages and couldn't find an answer.
I have a 1999 F4 and as well as loads of other work that has gone well, the rear brake rebuild has left me scratching my head.
While fitting new braided hoses front and rear I noticed the rear pads and piston were shot. So replaced the lines, pads, piston, seals, pad pin, bleed nipple and springs. I smeared the piston and seal with red rubber grease as I have done on other bikes and copper greased the back of the pads. After putting it all back together and bleeding the system all looked like it was working fine. I have just been out for a 20 mile blast and when I got back I felt for leaks and noticed the disc was warm to touch. I hadnt been using the rear brake particularly hard so I was I surprised how warm it was. I also noticed that the caliper moves slightly and so do the pads when I use the brake even though everything is torqued up correctly and not loose.
To cut a long story short my questions are?
1) Is the disk warm due to new thicker pads?
2) Will it sort itself out once the pads wear down a bit?
3) Can I damage the disc if I just ignore?
4) Could it be a serious issue?
5) Is the caliper and pads meant to have slight movement when I use them
I am dubious about riding it and damaging the disk so thanks for any replies
I personally think it is 5, I'll check mine tomorrow, as I've just replaced calipers and brake lines, but can't say I particularly noticed any play in them, then again I didn't try and move or rock them.

For me, my pads are on the discs every so slightly when I free wheel i.e. there is contact somewhere, then again, it's always been the case on this bike and noticed it on my mates brand new Ninja... so...

Will post back tomorrow when I get chance to check for any play matey!!!

Old 04-06-2014, 02:28 AM

Cheers I'm quite new to bikes I've always been into cars so any advice would be great

Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

The rear brake floats on its mounting bolts, this allows some adjustability to properly align the pads, however it should not wiggle there should be some resistance. My pads rub as well, when I was getting my bike rejetted I asked the mech and he said it is normal; I agree it does seem strange to me as well.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
The rear brake floats on its mounting bolts, this allows some adjustability to properly align the pads, however it should not wiggle there should be some resistance. My pads rub as well, when I was getting my bike rejetted I asked the mech and he said it is normal; I agree it does seem strange to me as well.
yep, checked mine this afternoon and the same... play but no wobble or anything like that... solid...

Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pugheaven
yep, checked mine this afternoon and the same... play but no wobble or anything like that... solid...
Thanks for checking. I've been at work so first chance to reply. I've managed to do a quick video of what mine is like. If you get too mins could you tell me if yours moves anything like this? Cheers again

Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Will check first thing in the morning matey before work and post later.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Right mine does exactly the same mate it moves on the rubbers, so tbh you've nothing to worry about :-)

Old 04-15-2014, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pugheaven
Right mine does exactly the same mate it moves on the rubbers, so tbh you've nothing to worry about :-)
That's great news. Thanks for all your help