CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help!! Overheating and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You replaced the fan and the coolant. I never thought about replacing the fan. I have this same issue - never was able to resolve it before I tore the bike down to fix the fairings. I've heard of people replacing everything you can think of (except the fan). Maybe it's the fan getting old and drawing way to much current and not allowing the rest of the bike to get enough power for spark and such. Interesting thought. I'm going to do a new battery and spark plugs and coolant flush before I fire mine up again and go from there.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCBR1313
UPDATE!!! I changed the cooling fan and did a complete coolant flush per the Honda Shop manual. And I am happy to say the bike is running at temperature and not overheating at ALL! Also I am going to be installing NGK iridium spark plugs this weekend? any experience with these are they work the extra money?
Oh man thanks for that! My bike does the exact same thing but I just got used to it. I just give it a bit more gas when it starts bogging on me. I'll give it a flush today! Why did you change the fan though?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM

I did a flush today but it didn't do much for me... I did miss the part where it asks for a 50/50 ratio with distilled water . I'll have to check the coolant I used to see if it's premixed or not. I also couldn't get my hands on a flushing additive so maybe that's why. I'm still interested why you changed your fan. Did you change it out with an aftermarket fan or the same from a junked bike?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Sorry guys although the bike is now running much cooler after the radiator flush and the fan change, the problem is still there. As soon as the fan kicks on it starts hestitating and the rpm just starts jumping up and down until if I dont give it gas it shuts off. But interesting thing is when I changed my spark plugs. I had just bought this bike a couple of months back and had not done it. Well as I pulled out the old ones the tops of plugs where covered in like a black soot and they were in pretty bad shape. Looks like the previous owner hadn't changed them for a real long while, I guess do to the location. I cleaned the contacts in the ignition coil but I am still not convinced they're working properly. My next task on this wild goose chase is a stator change and all four coils changed. What I've done so far to the bike.

Changed the oil and filter using Honda oil and filter
Changed the regulator rectifier OEM Honda
Complete coolant flush per honda service manual
Changed cooling fan
Changed spark plugs iridium NGK
I also had the bike looked at by a Mechanic he adjusted the idle and it ran great til I was about a block away from home.

Next is Stator and Ignition coils

Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a new battery and it should run good again

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
I did a flush today but it didn't do much for me... I did miss the part where it asks for a 50/50 ratio with distilled water . I'll have to check the coolant I used to see if it's premixed or not. I also couldn't get my hands on a flushing additive so maybe that's why. I'm still interested why you changed your fan. Did you change it out with an aftermarket fan or the same from a junked bike?

better check that with the quickness and use some engine ice next time so you dont have to worry about mixing. It stays cooler with the engine ice too

ps make sure you burp the system so theres no air bubbles

Old 03-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by nickels
better check that with the quickness and use some engine ice next time so you dont have to worry about mixing. It stays cooler with the engine ice too

ps make sure you burp the system so theres no air bubbles
I checked and the coolant is premixed. It's also pretty hard to get engine ice here because I'm outside of the US.

What I did do, which I forgot, was to burp the system. I let it run for a couple minutes with the cap loosely on and some cooler came out when revved. I did it a again a few hours later just before a ride and had to fill up the reservoir a bit. Perhaps there was a ton of air inside. I'll have to check today (by riding around in the city for some stop and go traffic) to see if it's better than it was. I hope so!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by RedCBR1313
Sorry guys although the bike is now running much cooler after the radiator flush and the fan change, the problem is still there. As soon as the fan kicks on it starts hestitating and the rpm just starts jumping up and down until if I dont give it gas it shuts off. But interesting thing is when I changed my spark plugs. I had just bought this bike a couple of months back and had not done it. Well as I pulled out the old ones the tops of plugs where covered in like a black soot and they were in pretty bad shape. Looks like the previous owner hadn't changed them for a real long while, I guess do to the location. I cleaned the contacts in the ignition coil but I am still not convinced they're working properly. My next task on this wild goose chase is a stator change and all four coils changed. What I've done so far to the bike.

Changed the oil and filter using Honda oil and filter
Changed the regulator rectifier OEM Honda
Complete coolant flush per honda service manual
Changed cooling fan
Changed spark plugs iridium NGK
I also had the bike looked at by a Mechanic he adjusted the idle and it ran great til I was about a block away from home.

Next is Stator and Ignition coils
when red cbr131 changed the plug if your bike is hesitating and running rough on bottom end and you pulled the plugs and they have black soot on them that mean the bike is running rich on the bottom end "just another option to help you guys out a little bit"

Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ohio nitro
when red cbr131 changed the plug if your bike is hesitating and running rough on bottom end and you pulled the plugs and they have black soot on them that mean the bike is running rich on the bottom end "just another option to help you guys out a little bit"
I haven't checked the plugs but the bike runs fine in general. It just starts to bog on me if the temp gauge is above the halfway point and the fan kicks in.. Perhaps I should check the plugs soon.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Update!! Changed the battery problem fixed!! I am installing a battery tender, all issues were resolved must have been a combo with plugs and battery.

Quick Reply: Help!! Overheating and stalling