CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

HELP! Bike Won't Shift Into 2nd or higher!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Bike Won't Shift Into 2nd or higher!

After a little SNAFUwith my bikedropped on left side it would shift into first, but not into 2nd, or anything higher. Let me give you more details.

Once I found out it couldn't shift into 2nd, I assumed the gearshift linkage was moved from the fall. So I unwisely unattached it from the shaft that connects to the clutch(?)...with out marking it. Hooked it back up, and my neutral was lost, so with the help of patience and vise-grips, I attached the vise grips to the shaft and pretty much search for neutral. Once I found it, I shifted to 1st with engine off, tried going to second, the neutral light went off for a fraction of a second, and it then went back to neutral, but it did go back to first when I wanted it to.

Next I took it to the street, and pretty much what I describe happened again. Even when I put it on the stand held the clutch in, and lifted the gearshift lever with my hand it did the same thing. So I decided to leave it alone until tomorrow.

- I do have the service manual, and I'm wonder if the clutch handle has anything to do with it, or the clutch gears themselves?

- Would tightening my chain help? As faras I know it's within specs.

- Should I continue to fiddle with theshifter lever until it getsright.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: HELP! Bike Won't Shift Into 2nd or higher!

if yo have loosened the pinch bolt bolt thats atached to the gear shift arm that is atached to the foot lever make sure it s set into the groves and tightened to proper torque settings sometimes if it's not tight and not seated properly it will slip and you wontbe able to change gears. it just keeps slippingand eventuallyit could wear down the teeth then you really will be stuck. hope this helps good luck

Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you trying to go through the gears without moving the bike?

It wont go past second without moving the bike forward or backwards a little bit to align the **** inside to go up a gear or down a gear.

Hope that helps, you can put it on the stand and just spin the rear wheel with the clutch in, and try to change the gears... Anything else and it's likely that you bunged something up when you dropped it.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might have bent one of the shift forks when you laid her down.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 AM

First thanks for the tips, they did help. I finally found neutral, and I replaced everything and marked it. I took it for a test run, and I couldn't shift to second, the chain was still rubbing also. So I adjusted the shift lever and with the bike off, I rolled it and went through the gears all the up to 5th, and thenI downshifted back to 1st then to neutral. I hope that's a good sign.I took off the footpeg/gearshift lever assembly, and took it to work with me this morning, wrapped a towel around it, threw it in the vise and bent it back about 3/4" - 1". Unfortunately, I have duty today, and I won't be able to test it until tomorrow. So I will let you know how it goes.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM

With that type of bending on the metal footpeg, there's a very good chance it's significantly weaker... so be weary that it has lost rigidity and under stress it may break on you!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

With that type of bending on the metal footpeg, there's a very good chance it's significantly weaker... so be weary that it has lost rigidity and under stress it may break on you!
I didn't bend the actual footpeg, but the bracket that it is mounted on. I talked to Cycle World, one of the local motorcycle dealers, and they suggested doing that instead of wasting my money by bringing it in.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:09 AM

Ahh okay, sorry I'm a welder/fabricator and **** about that kind of thing.

I'll check in to see how you're progressing tomorrow

Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

Ahh okay, sorry I'm a welder/fabricator and **** about that kind of thing.

I'll check in to see how you're progressing tomorrow
It's all good playboy, I appreciate the concern. Just to let you know I test drove it and everything is working fine, I just have to add a little more mmph! to go into 2nd gear, now on to my technique questions. New topic coming up.