CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Head gasket :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

Head here - HONDA CBR600 F4 FX FY 2000 GOOD COMPLETE CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY. BREAKING SPARES | eBay

At that price it is a steal

Should have you back together fairly quickly

Pitty your bristol based - I have built a few motors in my time.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Hi dean0... dont you worry, I have my beady eye on that one! Just waiting for a response on some questions ive asked!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Top end assembly has been purchased along with a gasket kit. Gonna look into getting a set of cylinder head bolts and probably some more exhaust studs!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Hi, which garage in Bristol was this? I've just moved from Bristol??

Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 AM

Hi all, bike is back on the road! Theres a slight rattle on the right hand side, on the over run and around 3k revs. Most likely the cct right? Little bit disappointed shes still not 100% and I just hope it is the cct! Did wonder if I should replace it but figured the garage would let me know if it was needed?! Oh well!

Oh and im actually from weston-super-mare... I just put bristol as its close and more people know where that is!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Hi all,

Just been out in the garage listening for this tapping noise. To be honest I think I'm being OCD now but better to be safe then sorry.

So anyway after a while I've found the constant noise... 2 air leaks on the front of my end can and air leaking at the connection on the link pipe towards the front of the bike. When I took the exhaust system apart there were no gaskets but I can't seem to get a good seal on the link pipe.

There is a rattle when the bike is cold at around 3k revs but is gone when warmed up. So I'm going to purchase a new auto CCT. I think I'm too OCD to get a manual one. Is there such a thing as an auto CCT that won't need replacing every 15-20k miles? Not too fussed but would be nice to know!

Feels like my carbs are out of sync now too which is some extra hassle but all can be dealt with in due course! Just nice to have the bike back during this heat wave!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Dean0, forgot to thank you earlier... If it wasn't for you and a reply you wrote in an f3 thread years ago regarding that little hole below the down pipe connection to the head then I would probably still have a bike leaking oil... Many thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Honda CCT's seem to retire at around 15k to 20k even on the bigger bikes like the blackbird.

The two most common issues on Hondas are CCT and Reg/Rec

Small price to pay for what is generally a very reliable machine.

Not sure where you have a leak but the downpipes on an F4 are one piece - the only joints are the head to downpipes and the downpipes to silencer link pipe.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dean0
Honda CCT's seem to retire at around 15k to 20k even on the bigger bikes like the blackbird.

The two most common issues on Hondas are CCT and Reg/Rec

Small price to pay for what is generally a very reliable machine.

Not sure where you have a leak but the downpipes on an F4 are one piece - the only joints are the head to downpipes and the downpipes to silencer link pipe.
My leak is at the down pipes to silencer link pipe joint. Would you normally expect to see a gasket here or just rely on the clamp creating the seal? Will fiddle around some to see if I can seal it with some brute force

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fryup2000
My leak is at the down pipes to silencer link pipe joint. Would you normally expect to see a gasket here or just rely on the clamp creating the seal? Will fiddle around some to see if I can seal it with some brute force
Standard system has a gasket between downpipes and linkpipe.

Looks like this one - HONDA CBR 600 F 2 3 4 EXHAUST SILENCER REPAIR GASKET 18391ML0003 | eBay

Some aftermarket systems don't have the gasket - they are a closer fit between the pipes.

Quick Reply: Head gasket :(