CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Head gasket :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fryup2000
The bike had a minor oil leak which they identified as the rocker cover gasket. After replacing that the bike leaks more oil, idles lower and backfires on engine breaking. Now they tell me it has a blown head gasket.

Im glad im not the only one that thinks the shop is bull****ting me. Now just got to figure out how to put forward a good argument. At the moment it just seems like my word against theirs.
There should not be any argument.

The bike ran well when it went to them for a minor oil leak

They tried to fix the oil leak and failed - now the bike runs like crap

Trading standards would eat them alive for that kind of crap.

I would go and have a chat to your local citizens advice office or ring trading standards and ask for the official method to get it put right.

Last edited by Dean0; 06-07-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
You need to fix it first, then you have the upper hand when you tell them that they screwed it up
NO

If you have it fixed - you hide any evidence of whatever they have done to the bike and they deny any involvement in causing the problem

Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean0
NO

If you have it fixed - you hide any evidence of whatever they have done to the bike and they deny any involvement in causing the problem
He's already been that route. They told him it was the head gasket. His choice is to trust their diagnosis or get it fixed (or at least diagnosed) and present them with documentation of the repair.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Ok so have just returned from the shop and I have the bike.

They have re sealed the rocker cover gasket which would appear to have got rid of the back firing.

The bike is sat in the garage awaiting a good degrease and clean to find out just exactly if there is a leak and where to. Compression tests to follow.

We tried arguing with the shop mechanic but it was like hitting our heads against a brick wall.

Will update this once I have time to degrease and clean.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Resealing the cover should take care of the leak, since it really didn't leak before.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Just a thought but see if you can look down the spark plug holes. ( May need a mirror and a torch )

If the rocker cover is leaking - i'm wondering if the oil is leaking in to the spark plug holes and causing tracking/arching - which can cause a missfire.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 PM

Hello,

Been out in the garage giving the bike a good degrease and have found where the oil leak is coming from...

Name:  image_zps090f3a88.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  62.9 KB

A small hole under number 1 down pipe. Any idea what the hole is? A bit of Internet research tells me it's a spark plug drain hole but I'm not sure. Haynes manual doesn't mention it anywhere!

Anyway I started it at work yesterday and thought the exhaust was blowing a bit. Had a look at it today to discover the only thing holding the end can on was the hanger bracket!!!

Name:  image_zps9cd0bad7.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  112.6 KB

A friendly neighbour has welded it together so will hopefully have it back on tomorrow. The bike sounded awesome with just the link pipe, but unfortunately far far too loud! I took a vid so will upload that at some point!

If I could get a confirmation on what that hole is and how to fix the leak that would be fantastic!

Here she is screaming at me to fix her!

Name:  image_zpsd17ea506.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  85.4 KB

Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 AM

Ive found a thread with a similar problem in the f2 part of this site...

It would appear to be this:

Internal valve cover gasket is misaligned allowing oil into spark plug tubes. Little hole lets out oil.

So my thinking is the shop didnt seat a gasket right when doing the rocker cover... sound thinking?

Exhaust is back on now so im a happier camper now.

Last edited by Fryup2000; 06-16-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Hi All,

Exhaust is back on and im really pleased with it. My neighbour has done a pretty damn good job on it so all is good in that area!

Name:  20130616_124815_zpseaae18b2.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  97.3 KB

If you look closely the downpipes appear to be missing the rear nut and bolt (just to the left of the oil inspection window) so i reckon that caused stress on the end can and caused it to shear. Ive put a nut and bolt through it so hopefully there will be no repeat exhaust failures! On a seperate note, a friend at work is convinced that my down pipes are not stock... how the hell do i tell? Do I have a full micron system? I just assumed that aftermarket downpipes were always nice shiny stainless steel!!!

Once the exhaust was on I started her up and she was blowing a lot of smoke. I figured this was all the grease and WD40 used to get the exhaust on and off being cooked in the pipes, so i went out for a quick spin with the fairings off. Thankfully the smoking stopped and is now back to normal.

This next pic shows how much oil is leaking out of that small hole after a 10 minute ride:

So today i dropped it off at the shop and requested the Rocker cover gasket be re-done and I will not be paying a penny towards it. So with a bit of luck, by the end of this week my bike should be in tip top condition!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Hi All,

Bad news for me im afraid to say

The shop called me up and gave me the bad news. The picture shows my exhaust cam shaft with scouring which is only going to get worse (apparently?)

Name:  c24ec1aa-7e38-4fb7-abfb-1ed15d0c63f7_zpsa9b0b042.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  132.1 KB

He also reckons there are 3 oil leaks which tbh i forgot to look closer at because I went into kill myself mode when i saw what is in the picture.

The bike is almost completely stripped at the shop so im a bit stuck with what to do now...

- Replace the top end of the engine
- Reassemble and forget I ever saw anything
- Replace all the gaskets and attempt some sort of repair job on the head and cam shaft.

To be honest im fed up with it all now, just getting into summer riding season and all this happens. The mechanic reckons the bike was dropped by a previous owner which is the reason why only one part of the cam shaft has scoured, rather than all four parts during a lock up due to a shortage of oil.

He mentioned some pretty big numbers to get this fixed which would declare it an econmical write off in an insurance companies eyes. Going to have a long think about it and see if I can do it all myself with the help of a friend.

Quick Reply: Head gasket :(