CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

fuel pump failure :(

Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump failure :(

My Bike has had a Fuel pump problem too and I broke down yesterday and had to be recovered

A mechanic friend of mine said to me to place a wire from + terminal to power feed on fuel pump which did free/ restart the pump back up as refilled my carbs.

I tried to ride again today and carbs emptied again and I tried the trick on the roadside but it did not work and luckily I only had around a 400 yard push and paddle to get back home.

I have ordered a new set of points and hope it will fix my problem, If not I will obviously have to order a new pump.

SO..
Has any one here used this type of replacement pump and is there any feedback on them?

Piston Pumps

They are selling on ebay for around £80 including postage and also state in their write up that it can increase performance at higher revs as flow is higher than standard and keeps the carbs full/topped up better than standard,

Can anyone confirm this and would it be better to buy this pump as a replacement?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM

The roadside FIX is to bypass the pump - bike will run without the pump.
Keep a piece of hose under the seat to allow the pump to be bypassed.

The points fix does sort out the fuel pump sticking IMO - simple to fit too.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced the fuel pump on my f4 when I had it.. Bought a new one from Ron ayers.. Done in about 40 minutes and it was perfect ever since. Get OEM.. Don't play around with fixes that might not work consistently.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 AM

you can jiggle the pump around a little or tap on it to get ya home in emergency or try cleaning the point switch contact points under the black top of the pump when you get stuck on road side if they are not completely burnt up, cleaning them off (wire brush, contact cleaner) will some times be enough to last for a litlle longer to get ya home and maybe more before you get a new one, done this a lot.

after that, just replace the oem pump point switch for 35-45 bucks and be done with it. seems like such a waste of money and time to replace the whole pump when its not broken. dont jimmy-rig for a permanant fix because it will pull fuel but, not at the exact rate it is suppose to. it runs better if you dont mess with the oem fuel system. again, replace the points because its not the pumps that go bad all the time its points switch nine times out of ten. wemoto has em and others on ebay. i carry a spare, its simple to hook up. they can last from what i hear 10k-40k and go out.

Last edited by cBrentb; 05-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks to you all for the response and advice on this

I await my points and to do the repair hopefully by the weekend, and I have ordered from M&P via ebay :

Honda CBR 600 F PC35 1999 Fuel Pump Repair Kit Petrol Points Switch | eBay

I hope this fixes my problem and as I plan to keep this bike awhile I will look to get a New spare pump too

Regards

Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Update :
I have fitted new pints but still no joy and have double checked everything I could so take it the pump has seized up

A new pump has been ordered and hope once fitted it will start straight up for me

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Black'n'Yellow
Update :
I have fitted new pints but still no joy and have double checked everything I could so take it the pump has seized up

A new pump has been ordered and hope once fitted it will start straight up for me
Question, if you used a jumper wire from the battery to the fuel pump to fill up the float bowls to get you home, doesn't that mean the pump works? You may just have an issue with something else.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by M1ke
Question, if you used a jumper wire from the battery to the fuel pump to fill up the float bowls to get you home, doesn't that mean the pump works? You may just have an issue with something else.
Hi Mike,

It appears the Jumper wire only worked twice for me as it definately filled the carb float bowls up once and possibly partial again when i tried on the side of the road.

After pushing it back home and trying the next day I had not heard the pump fill the carbs up, All I got was a dull thud and nothing else.

I now have the new pump and hope to fit later today.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:23 PM

UPDATE -
(A bit later as have been away a few days)

I Have now fitted new "Tour Max" 3rd party fuel pump and all is working now

THIS was the first fuel pump I had fitted and was a learning curve for me as I trying to explain below :

I did have problem fitting it as presumed the pump would have been placed in same layout as original which meant the condensation drain was facing up which turned out to be wrong as there was no fuel flow!

There is NO flow direction stamped/marked on either the original or this aftermarket pump.
It was through calling my mechanic friend and following his guidance in connecting the Carb and fuel pipes the opposite way round and cranking the engine to see if fuel spurted out and I found it did!

Also what put me off was that the Tour max sticker fitted this way round was now upside down and also looking into the fuel inlet and outlet ports
looked the same as the original which led me to think I put it on right the first time.

This job may be easy in a workshop but on your own outside with stop / start rain and the shortness of the fuel pipes and ajoining breathers and low fuel switch wires became frustrating that's for sure!

Well you live and learn so it's said

Anyway Its all working now and hope it stays that way for LONG while now

Hope this helps anyone else who has to replace a non OEM pump.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Dean0
The roadside FIX is to bypass the pump - bike will run without the pump.
Keep a piece of hose under the seat to allow the pump to be bypassed.

The points fix does sort out the fuel pump sticking IMO - simple to fit too.
A good point Dean0

I will ask my shop to supply me a piece just in case it happens again

Last edited by Black'n'Yellow; 05-19-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: missed words

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump failure :(