CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Fuel Problem. Frustrated and really need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Problem. Frustrated and really need help

Hey guys,

I just purchased my first CBR. It's a 99 F4 600. It was parked for a long period so it needed some work done. I have finished everything except for this one problem.

The gas tank was horrably rusted inside. I bought a tank liner (coating) set from the parts store and cured the tank. It now looks clean inside. I intalled the sensor and the petcock back and installed the tank on the bike.

The bike started ok for a couple of minutes then it shut off. almost like it has no fuel. THe pump primes but little to no fuel come out. I took the tank out and took out the petcokc. The petcock works, however, i held the tank up and no fuel was coming from the hole. It would pour out of the sensor hole but not the petcock hole. I assume this is the problem, right?

I inserted a long rod and there seem to be nothing blocking the fuel flow!!!

Please help :/

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM

You should be able to flip your petcock lever to on, and fuel should pour out. Start with that. Sounds like the bike is not the problem.

Do you have a full tank of gas?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Petcock is perfectly clean and working fine (tested it with water).

The whole connected to it doesnt pour gas even on a full tank. is it supposed to?/

Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does fuel come out if you open up the filler cap with the key? When I painted my bike for some reason I wasn't thinking and got a full tank of gas (stupid right...) I then had to get it all out and put it into containers. It was a bit slow so I opened up the filler cap and all hell broke loose. Gas started shooting out of the petcock but also the breather nipple (where to tube connects to the tank) and this other nipple.

Maybe it's the breather nipple/tube that's clogged? If fuel comes out then it should pull air back in right? If no air is drawn then no fuel should come out (like a water filled straw blocked off at the top with a finger).

Just thinking out loud here..

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Default Air

I think UAN is on the right track. If the vent hose or hole is plugged or restricted, any fuel that does come out will actually be created negative pressure inside the tank (I think that's the right way to describe it) - the point being that air has to be drawn in to replace the fuel coming out. You should check the flow all the way to the pump, including the filter. Your pump could be working overtime if it isn't getting enough fuel to pump.

MFF

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 AM

OK, so petcock works 100%. put that aside.
Fileld the gas with tank, opened the door, held it up. nothing comes out. so it is definately not a breather issue.
I plugged a hose into the petcock hole and sucked with my mouth (that what she said), nothing came out.

is the petcock hole connected to some kind of tunnel inside the tank or is it just a hole directly in the tank?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Major_rkb
OK, so petcock works 100%. put that aside.
Fileld the gas with tank, opened the door, held it up. nothing comes out. so it is definately not a breather issue.
I plugged a hose into the petcock hole and sucked with my mouth (that what she said), nothing came out.

is the petcock hole connected to some kind of tunnel inside the tank or is it just a hole directly in the tank?
This is what a parts website in the NL tells me the peck-**** looks like. Just a petcock with a plastic filter type tube on it:

Sorry for the huge pic.

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 04-09-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Your posts confuse me. And the petcock is definetly not working fine if fuel does not pour out. There is a hole in the tank that the petcock just bolts in to.

Post some pictures of your tank and the actual petcock.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Just a crazy thought but when you took the petcock out to sesal the tank did you pull the strainer out?????

If not that would be your problem. The coating you put in the tank would have sealed the filter too.

Just my $.02