CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Soon to be new guy

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be new guy

I am in the process of buying a 99' CBR600 F4 from a coworker (who is the second owner) and am not sure what a good price for it would be; was hoping someone on here may be able to give me a ballpark figure. It has 28k on the odometer and a pretty large dent in the gas tank that the original owner put there on purpose to allow him to lean further over the tank. He also tried to paint the tail himself to disasterous result. It just had a new chain put on it as well as both tires replaced within the last 12 months.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Go to New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book & enter in all the data. You'll get a value that's a good place to start. Obviously, kbb value assumes a vehicle in good operational condition. Naturally, you can add a some value for accessories (aftermkt pipes, equip upgrades). Too, you can subtract for negatives like the dent you mention & bad paint. Just take the kbb value & adjust for those things. Obviously w/o actually seeing the bike in question or knowing the mechanical history of it, its near impossible to give you an accurate monetary figure. Thus, the kbb starting point.

I always advise new buyers to have the seller meet you at the local Honda shop to have an inspection done b/f purchase. You pay the price (prob about $85) for the inspection. That's small peace of mind for an expensive purchase. The shop will tell you if the bike has any unseen/unknown problems. Then you can make a better informed decision. The inspection being free to the seller, he shouldn't object. If he does, is there something to hide?

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Welcome to cbrf. Good choice on bike

Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 AM

Bought a 99f4 with 38k good condition for 2100 last year just to give you some comparison (from MA)... but kbb is a great idea

Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Check craigslist and see what the prices are on there. I personally wouldn’t pay over $2500 for it based on your description.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM
MZ5

The kid I got my '00 F4 from last year was asking for either $1500 or $1700 for it (I forgot which). ~15k miles. THRASHED plastics. They were physically present, but every single thing besides the front fender and tail section was unpainted (or not-so-well rattle-canned black) _and_ broken; most broken badly, so they were zip-tied together and onto the bike (no joke). Bike's been down HARD, but mechanically it was solid apart from bad rash on the left side cover. I ended up doing a multi-part trade to get the bike, but perhaps that gives you some measure of what the market here thought this one was worth (I wouldn't have given what he was asking in cash).