CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Ever have this happen????/

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever have this happen????/

Ok I went out to my garage to sweep it our and decided to let the bike runs for a bit since it had not been started for a week. the temp was about 40-45. The bike started right up and I let it run with the choke on for a few like I always do. It runs at about 4K RPM's on full choke. Ok so it was over there running at 4K so i went to turn the choke off so it would go down to aobut 1,200 and then i noticed there was a small puddel of coolant right under the V braket on the plastics right behind the front tire. There was no more drips or leaks and the bike was not overheating and the fans had not even kicked on yet. I let the bike run and reved it up a few time and the fans came on and all was normal. I turned the bike off and wiped it offoff and moved it back to it's spot and there has not been a drop since. The bike has never driped a drop of anything since I have had it. I called the dealershop that did the full service on it and he said that sometimesthe cooling system can build PSI to fast and make the coolant come out of the overflow. I have an automotive degree and never heard that before. The shop said to let the bke cool down over night and try it today or in a few day and see if it does it again. I got the light out andI did not see any leaking from the RAD.

So has anyone ever had this happen?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Default RE: Ever have this happen????/

Bumble Bee, you have come to the right place for your question answered. I have had the exact same thing happen and learned that the radiator cap has a small rubber tube that goes from the cap to the overflow bottle and if you look very, very, carefully, if you do not use proper care in installing your right fairing, you can accidently have the rubber tube pinched and this causes the exact problem where the radiator cap will allow fluid to pop out of the pressure spring cap. Take your right fairing follow the expansion tube to overflow and top up and ensure the tube is not pinched. Always use care when installing the right faring. Best of luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: retsoobretsoob1

Bumble Bee, you have come to the right place for your question answered. I have had the exact same thing happen and learned that the radiator cap has a small rubber tube that goes from the cap to the overflow bottle and if you look very, very, carefully, if you do not use proper care in installing your right fairing, you can accidently have the rubber tube pinched and this causes the exact problem where the radiator cap will allow fluid to pop out of the pressure spring cap. Take your right fairing follow the expansion tube to overflow and top up and ensure the tube is not pinched. Always use care when installing the right faring. Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply, but I dont think that is the problem. The right fairing has not been off since OCT and it never did this till this past Sunday. I mean if the tube was pinched off then it should have happend way before this IMO. Ifit does it again I am going to pull the right fairing and see whats going on. The shop said don't pull the fairing unless it happens again and it was getting colder out so I did not want to pull it anyways.

I do think it was a PSI build up of some sort since it did not leak anymore then the one puddle and has not leaked since. I will start it up again when I get a warmer day and see if it happens again.

Any other Ideas are welcome as well.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 AM

Does it still run?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Does it still run?
Yeah it runs like a new bike. It starts right up in 10 degree weather if want it to. Sunday it puked out about 4-6 OZ of coolant then never driped another drop, but it had never done anything like that before.