CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Electrical FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical FUBAR

OI! So... I had a small fight with a steel gate about two weeks ago. Broke some stuff, Upper fairing, windshield, headlight, shifter, and front fender a bit. Side Note: Frame sliders are worth their weight in Gold! Anyway, got a well used upper and headlight from a bloke, new shifter, and had the stock windshield in storage. Put the windshield on last night, reassembled everything. unfortunately, I did a pretty bad job of hanging the wiring back up, so as i sat on her after getting it all bolted together, I noticed that that big clump of connectors in the rubber sock was in the way of my fork when turning the bars to the right, and not behind the cluster like they should be. So I pushed them back into place... rather hurriedly. The bike was on while I was doing this, and then my gauge cluster went out.... along with my turn signals, tail light, and break light. The bike still starts fine and runs fine, and the headlight works (both beams) although it does seam dim. Interestingly there's one light I do get on the cluster, my high beam indicator. Everything else though, is not working. I took everything back apart today to hopefully find the one connector I had knocked out but no luck. Everything looks the way it should. I also checked my fuses (minus the main, because it still starts and what not) and they're all fine. So now I'm looking for a multi-meter flow chart so i can start isolating where the short or bad connection is. there's only a few good days of riding left and I'd love to have lights and gauges for them. If anyone could help me out I'd really really appreciate it. Cheers.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Default RE: Electrical FUBAR

Hate to say it but theres a good possibility you toasted that guage set keeping it powered up like that.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 PM

yeah and there's a good chance that someone knows how to help my find out what's actually happened, and not just speculate with bad news. But I do appreciate your response.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:27 PM

Not speculation, suggestion, electrical 101,, dont plug/unplug things while powered up it causes failure. You can check every fuse and you can check everywire. If you dont find something there, then your gonna have to get some new gauges. No one here can magically tell you where the problem is without tearing through that thing like your going to have to do. Its just how working on your own stuff goes. No hostility intended, gauges are just one of those things that there really isnt alot it can be.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 AM

Yeah, no worries man. What I'm looking for is a flow chart.. step one. connect multi-meter to X, if reading is above T and below F the move to step..L. Right? I understand no one can just tell me what the problem is, that's why I was confused by your one line response to my original post saying little more than "gonna have to buy a new one" I'm not on this forum so people can solve my problems for me, I'm here to get directions from people that have gone down similar road. I didn't mean to come off as rude, but figuring out that the gauge cluster wasn't working was pretty easy for me to do. Finding out WHY it isn't working is the reason for my post, but again, I appreciate your time.