CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

The Definitive F4i Gauge Swap to F4 Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The Definitive F4i Gauge Swap to F4 Thread!

Okay... Im researching this project... I can get an F4i cluster for a pretty good price... and I really like the way the cluster performs and looks...

I did a ton of searches and although there seem to be a few threads about putting this on an F2 or an F3, there don't seem to be any F4 specific threads.. My goal is to have the info here to serve as a knowledge base for anyone that wishes to tackle the project.

If you have any info to contribute or any pictures, please feel free to do so!

Here are my concerns/questions to be tackled.

1) Wiring
I have wiring diagrams for both the F4 and F4i. What wires match up? What wires do not? Is there any way to make a quick harness with something that plugs into the F4 harness on one side and the F4i cluster on the other side? If not, what is the next best way to make it OEM-like and plug n play? I am also wondering if the F4i's "FI" light can be hooked into the "low fuel" light of the F4 wiring to keep that function. I believe the CBR900RR thermo fan switch will make the temp function correctly. I assume that this will fix the high temp warning buzzer too.

2) Mounting
What is the best way to mount it? I would prefer to keep the F4 fairing stay, as I don't particularly plan to swap to the F4i fairings. I'm thinking that I could use the old cluster as a template and cut something out of lexan or something to mount the F4i cluster on..

I am going to look at the wiring diagrams and post up the function and colors for the F4i and F4. Like I said, please feel free to contribute to this.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Official Welcome Crew

CBR600F4 cluster wiring diagram info

Function & wire color(s)
TEMP(-) G/Bu
blank
SPEED P/G
IGN(+) Bl/Br
20 KM/H** P/Y
ILLUM(+) Bl/Br
BATT(+) R
TURN R(+) Lb
HI BEAM(+) Bu
NEUTRAL(-) Lg/R
OIL(-) Bu/R
TACHO Y/G
(-) I assume this is ground G
SENSOR(-)** G/Bl
SENSOR(-)** G/Bl
TURN L(+) O
blank
RES SENSOR Br/Bl

**(I don't know what this is)

CBR600F4i wiring to follow...

Last edited by Turbulenz; 08-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Official Welcome Crew

CBR600F4i cluster wiring diagram info

Function & wire color(s)

TEMP(-) G/Bu
blank
SPEED P/G
IGN(+) Bl/Br
ILLUM(+) Bl/W
BATT(+) R/G
FI IND(-) W/Bu
TACHO Y/G
OIL(-) Bu/R
TURN R(+) Lb
HI BEAM(+) Bu
NEUTRAL(-) Lg/R
TURN L(+) O
SENSOR(-)** G/Bl
RES SENSOR Br/Bl
SIDE STAND G/W
blank

**(I don't know what this is)

Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Official Welcome Crew

I started thinking about mounting options... Home depot sells Lexan sheets pretty cheap (like $13 for a 12"x24" sheet). One could either use adhesive black paper, adhesive carbon fiberish stuff or simply paint it (from underneath).. I remember dmcb2120 (wonder whatever happened to him) made this post: https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...airing-107436/ showing how he mounted the f4i gauges to the f4 stay using a hose clamp.. I'm thinkin one could use the F4 gauges as a template to cut the lexan.. then you cut holes for the lexan to mount on the fairing stay just as the original cluster did.. then you cut holes to mount the F4i cluster onto that lexan. In a perfect world I would find a super cheap F4 cluster to use as a template and maybe even hack up to use with the lexan to mount the F4i...

To me, I'd like to have it look as OEM as possible while being strong and functional... is that too much to ask? lol..

thanks for reading... hope this story has a happy ending..

Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Official Welcome Crew

Wow,, I was hoping there would be more information contributed by others..oh well.
It seems as if the temp sensor to get is for a 1999 CBR900rr. I saw that in a thread while searching.
I have seen sheets of adhesive vinyl in both black and carbon for pretty cheap as well.

I. Think it was "gotCBR" that linked up a place that sells OEM style harness plugs.. I remember one member using them on his project and singing their praises. I tried a search but couldn't find it. Maybe he will be able to chime in.

I'm also trying to figure out if one would be able to use the f4i's "FI" light as a low fuel light.. I can't tell if that lamp on either bikes is a ground or a power to set the light on... I remember some were using the "FI" light as a side stand wring light... But to me that functionality wouldn't be nearly as useful s keeping the low fuel light as a just in case..

Anyone have any input or experiences to share?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Official Welcome Crew

I found this post on here;
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...-108102/page2/

It says that you just need to ground out the F4's "20kph" wire. Also the year for the CBR900RR sensor seems to be 98 as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Official Welcome Crew

ok.. even though I feel like this is becoming more of a journal.... lol

I learned some more. I bought a set of gauges.. here is what I found out.. I havent gotten them yet though.

From cbrworld.net (which is a site that is now gone) using the wayback machine to see a post detailing the install on an F3.. there might be a similar one on this forum too but this one was referenced a good amount:

CBRWorld.net - F3 to F4I Gauge Swap

Here is the site with the OEM type connectors:
Mail Order Form

The "HP9L Latching Set Black Nylon" and "HP9L Latching Set White Nylon" seem to be a perfect match for the F4i cluster's plugs.

I'm st
ill trying to find a similar plug for the F4's harness. My goal is to make a plug n play adapter harness.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for delayed response. Let's see...

First off, o.k....if you're going to do the gauge swap, shouldn't you do the split-seat conversion too?!? J/k, inside joke folks. ;-)

Yes, you found the link/site which I recommend for OEM type connectors. They are identical, at least in my experience w/ them. Another member just used their connectors for his F4i gauge conversion based on my recommendation & he reported that they worked well. So, use w/ confidence.

Another option is to purchase the entire F4i front/gauge harness & adapt it to your F4 wiring harness. Still, there is adaptation that has to occur. So its six of one...

As for the gauge conversion itself, I have mixed thoughts about it. On one hand, I like the F4i gauges. On the other, my F4 gauges are dead-on accurate (yes, I've tested them). I tend to not "fix" things that aren't broken unless it gives me some sort of advantage. That's the only reason I did the split-seat conversion...it gave me an advantage over the banana seat for my needs, specifically body-positioning for track & twisty riding. I digress...

If I were to do the F4i gauge conversion, like you, I would want to retain the F4 upper fairing & air ducts. That being said, it is always easier to do a direct-swap...i.e., installing the F4i front fairing stay & F4i front fairing. That would allow direct bolt-up of the F4i gauges to the stay.

However, the F4 & F4i air duct covers are not interchangeable. You can retain the F4 air ducts covers & adapt them to the F4i stay/front cowl. Conversely, you could adapt the F4i duct covers to the F4. Each requires some modification. Or, simply not use the duct covers at all.

Many bikes don't have all that "dash" cover like the F4. Example: my RC51 has the gauges mounted to the stay & there's no other dash area involved...its simply open-air behind the cowl/windscreen. I understand your wanting to fabricate some sort of dash area...just offering up another option.

Here's a pic of my RC51 gauge/front cowl area, like I'm talking about...

Name:  P1050460-1.jpg
Views: 5572
Size:  140.8 KB

You can see how clean it looks just to have the gauge cluster & no other plastic around the gauges.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your personal interpretation & progress on the F4i gauge swap.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Official Welcome Crew

thanks for the reply lol..

split seat? who knows.. maybe next year...

Unfortunately it seems as if the plug for the gauges is part of the main harness for the bike on both the F4 and the F4i.. I'm not sure about the body conversion... I actually like the F4i upper better than the F4,... but my bike is an F4.. so I'll probably keep it that way. The seller I bought it from also gave me two of the brackets from the F4i that bolt to the cluster (not the stay though) but I would still need a lot of other stuff.

Anyway.. once it gets here I should know what Im up against.. i figure I could always sell it if I don't go with it..

Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
...Unfortunately it seems as if the plug for the gauges is part of the main harness for the bike on both the F4 and the F4i...
To clarify my earlier statement, there is a separate front harness that attaches to the main harness. If that front harness is damaged, you can replace that section only. Yes, its dif on ea bike. So yeah, you've got to adapt it either way to do the conversion/gauge swap.

I'm not sure about the body conversion... I actually like the F4i upper better than the F4,... but my bike is an F4.. so I'll probably keep it that way. The seller I bought it from also gave me two of the brackets from the F4i that bolt to the cluster (not the stay though) but I would still need a lot of other stuff.
Yes, you would need more for an actual fairing conversion...like the dual-light setup & subsequent light wiring adaptation, etc.

Anyway.. once it gets here I should know what Im up against.. i figure I could always sell it if I don't go with it..
I expect regular updates!

Quick Reply: The Definitive F4i Gauge Swap to F4 Thread!