CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem?

1999 CBR F4
Fully sythetic this time, next time im putting semi-synthetic

So im having problems when switching gears and it pops into neutral.. this can pretty much happen, from 3-4, 4-5, 5-6. Upshifting only. It happens when im giving it a lot of gas, opening up, switch and then boom, next thing i know im in neutral, rpms fly up, because im giving gas, and there is no neutral light on of course, because it's not supposed to be in neutral in those gears.

When i pull the clutch in, i tap down to put it back in gear, because i've usually lost a lot of speed by this point, although baring in mind i can still be travelling pretty fast at this point, and i can feel the shifter hitting what feels like various gears on the way down, (click, click, click, and then engage) and then i let the clutch out slowely, having no idea what gear im going to land in, but it re-engages and then i ride off again normal..

this happens fairly often but not all the time, it's really bothering me, has anybody heard of this? anybody know what the problem is?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by UKROB; 04-01-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 PM

pull up on the shifter all the way, all you are doing is pulling half way and getting between the gears, this will eventually blow a gear out because it can slip back into gear while the RPM's are up.

bottom line, you need to shift it all the way but you are only half *** shifting. not trying to be rude, ive done the same thing over the years and all the bikes i drove can and have done it.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 AM

If you do hit neutral while accelerating you should never downshift to get it back into gear, you run the risk of downshifting to many times and having the wheel lock up or causing internal engine problems.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 AM

adjust the controls on the shift lever so that the lever will reach full throw before your foot does. dont preload the the tranny either. i.e. dont try to shift until you have relaxed the throttle or fully dissenaged the clutch. and until you here that CLUNK noise do not rengage the throttle or clutch. if you do one or both of these things false neutrals and ****ed up tranny parts is what you get. a well maintained, properly riden tranny should never go out under 100,000.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by limpy88
adjust the controls on the shift lever so that the lever will reach full throw before your foot does. dont preload the the tranny either. i.e. dont try to shift until you have relaxed the throttle or fully dissenaged the clutch. and until you here that CLUNK noise do not rengage the throttle or clutch. if you do one or both of these things false neutrals and ****ed up tranny parts is what you get. a well maintained, properly riden tranny should never go out under 100,000.
i was just speaking to a technician the other day and he said you can't adjust this shifter throw radius/distance.. although he never looked at my bike.. so i'm not sure if he was 100% correct.

So can i adjust it on this bike? If it could be adjusted so i don't have to push up as much to hit full throw, this would really help, i feel like im having it push up too much right now, and im hitting absolute full throw on my foot at the same time as the shifter.

And also I've come to believe that it is my fault because i sometimes shift from 1st to neutral between gears (1-2) and the light comes on, therefore would lead me to believe that im also doing this in the higher gears, although i didn't think it was possible to hit neutral in the higher gears until until now.

In the mean time im going to take my bike out today and go over my upshifting, my downshifting is fine.

Last edited by UKROB; 04-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM

the linkage rod that connectes the pedal to the motor is adjustable and it will raise or lower where the pedal is at. if you adjust the rod to be longer it will put the pedal farther down. the manual says how to adjust it. properly

Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by limpy88
the linkage rod that connectes the pedal to the motor is adjustable and it will raise or lower where the pedal is at. if you adjust the rod to be longer it will put the pedal farther down. the manual says how to adjust it. properly
i coudn't find anything in the manual telling me how to adjust the linkage rod.. only something telling me how to attach it

Last edited by UKROB; 04-02-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM

im sorry there is no adjust in the rod. it is where the gear shift arm is installed on the spindle. you losen up the bolt that hold it on, slide it off and turn in the direction that causes the lever to shift down. re install and TIGHTEN the bolt back up you do not want to mess up the ribs on the spline drive. test to see if it works and readjust if nessacry. but you could aways find a longer rod that fits instead much harder to come by though. on the top of page 9-14 in the maunal it tells how to reistall the gear shift arm ignor the punch mark on there. that is the factory setting.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Adjust all you want, but if you are missing gears that much and powering them out, you have tranny problems. Bent shift forks, rounded gears etc. I would pull your oil plug and see how much shrapnel you have in there.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

just had a pro take my bike out and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tranny, both clutch and gears are good, i don't think i was pushing up enough on the shifter. I have also found out that on this bike you can infact adjust the shifter to be lower, so im going to do this and problem should be solved.

With my bike boots on i didn't have the leaverage in my foot to push up hard enough when using the clutch. When power shifting i never had this problem anyways, because if the power shift wouldn't work (either due to too much gas or bad timing) then, the shifter wouldn't move period anyways.