CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Clutch not fully disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you just saved your self a lot of time and frustration by posting here and finding that the lever is the problem. hope you stay around. thats why i love this forum so we all can help each other out.

thats exactly what happened to my lever. i dont know why they break like that. if you dont know already its simple to put back on. lube the lever with oil before you slide it in. make sure you slide it back in easy not to damage the o-ring. clean both surfaces of engine and cover very, very good. use the black rtv sealant on clutch cover and around that black grommet. use a very, very thin bead of sealant, maybe a 1/16 size bead, it doesnt take much. make sure the lever is turned all the way counter clockwise before you press the cover back on.press the cover, then gradually, little by little tighten bolts back to 9 lbs torque, in a star pattern like when ya put back on a car wheel. then turn the lever carfully clockwise til it starts to pull on the lifter pin, you will feel it when this happens. attach your clutch cable and thats it, your done.

PS, for a few days after there could be some oil seeping/ leaking out past the lever o-ring. mine did this for a few days then it sealed back up. if yours does this and doesnt seal back after a week or two, then you might need to replace that o-ring too.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Sweet will do. I downloaded the manual for the F4 but I was gonna ask if I had to get hondabond or if regular black high temp rtv sealant would be fine since I have some in the garage. Also I ordered the o ring with the lever cuz i was looking at the diagrams online and figure I might as well lol.

Now when you say it needs to be all the way counter clockwise does that mean basically have the lever pointing to the rear of the bike? I'm assuming so after looking at the bottom half of the lifter pin anyway.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 AM

yes, counter clockwise almost all the way towards the back of the bike. when you put the lever in and look at it, it will be very clear how far to turn it. if its not turned far enough, the end of the lifter pin will not go into the slot at the end of the lever.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM

Alright yeah that's what I thought. Just gotta pick up some rtv sealant and wait for the part to come in friday now. Thanks for all your help man, I'll update you once I get it all back together!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 AM

ok, cool. now ya know why after you kept adjusting the clutch, one minute it was good then the next it felt funky. get back to me to and let me know how the clutch feels and how it shifts. hopefully thats all that was wrong with it.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 AM

Got the part this afternoon, installed it along with a new oil seal and I once again have a working clutch. Thanks everyone, especially you Brent. Definitely glad i joined up here, And I guarantee I'll be here a while!