CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Carb or Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the carbs off of the intake manifold.
everything is all loose.
now to start taking it apart.

Last edited by humboldt racer; 03-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM

thanks again for the help

Last edited by humboldt racer; 03-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
MZ5

Pulling my carb pack/set off was made much easier when I used a pry bar. Steady, even pressure got them to come off without damage.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by humboldt racer
I really just don't want to get in over my head...
You *are* in over your head... at least based on the way you are describing it here.

STOP everything you are doing b/f you damage the bike further. Get the bike to a factory Honda shop & get repairs done correctly.

Is this the '99 sunset yellow F4 that you asked all the questions & opinions about buying here on the forum just last week???
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/looking-cbr600f4-mint-condition-121656/
Noticed you've edited your original post about the bike that you described in much detail about all its extras, uber go-fasters, etc. However, the thread still has much of the original information in the discussion.

From your description(s) of this bike, it was supposed to be the end-all-be-all for used F4s...w/ meticulous maintenance records, tons of extra parts, cam upgrade, $1800 exhaust, etc etc etc etc etc.

Apparently, it isn't...b/c from your description, it doesn't run properly.

If it was in such great maintenance meticulous shape, why would you need to do anything to it at all??? Just like the previous thread, the condition & needs of the bike seem to change from one post to another.

When folks come here & ask for advice from members about buying bikes, the members here (for the most part) offer some good solid advice. In my advice to you in the other thread, I offered the following...
Originally Posted by gotcbr
If you are seriously considering buying it though, please do yourself a favor & ask the seller to meet you at a factory Honda shop for an inspection. The shop will do a thorough & complete check of the bike & let you know what it may need. You’ll pay for it (about $85) but it will be a huge peace of mind.
Apparently, that advice went unheeded. Now, that $85 inspection fee doesn't seem so expensive compared to what you might need to spend now to get it repaired.

I do hope you are able to get your bike repaired & running properly w/o an excess in expense. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 PM

I don't know the history of this motorcycle but I respectfully disagree with taking it to the dealer for carbs and spark plugs.

If the bike was sitting for a year with no sta-bil (or even if it had some in it) the "meticulous" condition it is in doesn't matter to engine/carb internals. It could be the cleanest looking motorcycle in the world and still not run properly if it was sitting for that long. From what I understand, this thing doesn't need a $500 tune up...it needs the carbs cleaned/synced and new plugs.

Why throw that money away if you have a few tools and some time to read about how it all works?

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 03-04-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
I don't know the history of this motorcycle but I respectfully disagree with taking it to the dealer for carbs and spark plugs.

If the bike was sitting for a year with no sta-bil (or even if it had some in it) the "meticulous" condition it is in doesn't matter to engine/carb internals. It could be the cleanest looking motorcycle in the world and still not run properly if it was sitting for that long. From what I understand, this thing doesn't need a $500 tune up...it needs the carbs cleaned/synced and new plugs.

Why throw that money away if you have a few tools and some time to read about how it all works?
This statement makes my point & why I recommended a pre-purchase inspection in his previous thread.

Since the OP purcased regardless, he is now dealing w/a problem that could have been avoided or corrected prior to purchase.

This thread essentially serves as a cautionary tale of what results when you don't do proper pre-purchase inspection.

IF the OP is capable of proper diagnosis & repair, then saving money by DIY is preferred. IF NOT, any savings that might have occurred are lost when the OP ends up taking it to the shop to have the original problem repaired plus whatever else he might damage.

To the OP, again, I hope you are able to get your bike repaired & running properly w/o a lot of extra expense. We all want to see you have a reliable bike that you will enjoy for a long time. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 PM

I really appreciate your posts got cbr.
Now that im in this is something im committed to and have to do.
I got the carbs out.
took em apart one by one and cleaned them. They were definitely not clean, but they weren't really filthy either.

Now I want to tackle the spark plugs.
the manual doesn't really give a detailed removal of the plugs themselves.
any pointers
do i need a magnet to get it out?

Any advice on putting the carbs back in?

Last edited by humboldt racer; 03-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought I replied to this already... but..

the owners manual shows how to do plugs, not the service manual... it isnt that bad but you should have a basic understanding of working on an engine..

You might not be in over your head yet, but isnt there a buddy you can get over to help you in case you need to ask questions?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 PM

got the spark [plugs out.
now just putting it all back together.
all these hoses are a bit overwhelming.
im glad i toock pictures each step.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humboldt racer
got the spark [plugs out.
now just putting it all back together.
all these hoses are a bit overwhelming.
im glad i toock pictures each step.
That was a smart move! I usually do that myself the first time I tear something apart..

Quick Reply: Carb or Spark Plugs