CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Carb or Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carb or Spark Plugs

Last week I bought a 99 cbr 600 f4

She's in great condition but has been sitting for a while.
The bike putters when I give it gas around 2-3k rpms.
above this rpm range bike runs great.
The previous owner said the only time it ever ran this way in the past, it was the spark plugs.
The more reading I have been doing though points to dirty carbs from sitting for a year.

I ran 2 tanks with seafoam in it, but this didn't do anything.

I started taking my bike apart to do a tune up.

I ran into some problems:
I stripped my oil lug nut trying to take it off. (why the hell is it on so tight?) Now I HAVE to take it to the shop to get my oil changed....

I cant get my carbs off. Removed tank, air filter housing... bla bla. used 2 ft long screwdriver to loosen the clamps. What do i do? WD-40?

Why is it so difficult to access the spark plugs?

The bike came with 2 sets of extra jets. What do i do with these?
Do they screw in ALL the way?
TO clean my old ones just take em out and put em back in? Any counting revolutions? bla bla bla?
Can i put new ones in instead of cleaning the old ones?
Do i need mechanical skills to tinker with these?
people have said that cleaning jets is #1 priority for cleaning carbs.
Holla.
give me some tips about any of this plz.

Any advice on the puttering? sparks vs. carbs? stripped oil lug bolt thingy.

Last edited by humboldt racer; 03-04-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM

I really just don't want to get in over my head.
After fudging with the oil nut now I have to take it in and pay extra to have it removed.

I just don't want the same thing to happen with my carbs.
I was thinking it was going to be fairly straightforward.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
MZ5

Allow me to suggest, as politely as possible, that if you've damaged/destroyed the oil drain plug trying to change the oil, you may want to just take it to a mechanic to have the carbs cleaned. Things inside there are _much_ more easily damaged than the oil drain plug.

That to one side, I would guess that your running issue is a carburetor-related one. I note that you said the bike came with some extra jets; which jets? What number is on them? If the P.O. said it was plugs last time, that's fine, but the bike really shouldn't be fouling plugs. Having extra jets caused me to wonder whether someone re-jetted the bike too rich. I have not idea, of course, it's just a thought that occurs to me given what you've said so far.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Here's a pretty good writeup for a general carb clean.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-clean-your-carbs-40713/

You'll need to take each jet out, one carb at a time (it's good to take a picture of one together before disassembly if you do all four at one time). What I usually do is run a little strand of steel wire (guitar string) through each jet to clean any gunk that's been embedded in there. A can of carb cleaner should be enough, but buy two or three. There's nothing wrong in soaking them in the stuff. Each passage should be sprayed with carb cleaner and pressurized air if you have any. Be careful of your work area also, make sure it is a clean surface.

Another thing I've done with seriously bad carbs is let them soak overnight in PineSol and it did wonders.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

The guys on Adv rider are full of good info.

The PineSol MAY dissolve some "pretty" coatings like ****ty chrome or something similar, but I wouldn't worry too much.

As for actually getting them off the bike, I had to use a breaker bar and steady pressure. When I put them back on I greased them up with bearing grease so taking them off would be easier.

Post up if you have any more questions, I've done carb work more times than I'd care to admit.

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 03-04-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM

If you dont want to pay to have the oil drain plug removed, go to your local hardware store and ask for a stripped bolt/broken bolt remover. Costs less then 10$, but make sure not to buy one from a wholesale cheap store that sells a bunch of random junk (I'm not sure how to explain that kind of store other than surplus hardware store I guess). They are simple to use, drill a hole in the bolt, use the tool and it threads itself backards into the bolt allowing you to crack like hell on it untill it comes out. I hope that all makes sense.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM

not bein a dick but i would get help befor you go farther it sounds like your in over your head

Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by polish man
not bein a dick but i would get help befor you go farther it sounds like your in over your head
Help may be needed, but taking it to a shop and having them do it while you wait in the lobby is not a good idea.

Getting a buddy who knows what he's doing, or reading the MANY MANY tutorials on carbs and cleaning them and adjusting them is the better way to do it.

It can save you $300 to $500.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
MZ5

Some input from a former farmer: Beware of easy-outs/broken screw extractors. I can't even tell you how many times I've used those to try to remove broken or rounded bolts or screws, and they failed miserably more than 90 times out of 100. Guess I never learned my lesson, huh? LOL

My experience is you'll have far better luck using _appropriately applied_ impact and/or heat than with a broken screw extractor. Not saying don't try the screw extractor route, just sharing experience.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM

thanks for the input everyone.
Day 2.

Back at trying to pull the carbs off.

As far as the extra jets are concerned, I am not sure whether or not the bike was running too rich. It backfired when I would try to accelerate between this 2k-3k rpm range.

Do i really need a crowbar or something to get at these carbs?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by humboldt racer
Do i really need a crowbar or something to get at these carbs?
You could try to heat the boots up a little bit with a hairdryer or heat gun so they're a little more pliable.

Quick Reply: Carb or Spark Plugs