CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy?

Hey guys, new to the forums. I'm looking into a CBR... check out the story.

I can get a 99 CBR F4 with 14.5k miles for $2300. Only thing wrong with it is the left fairing is badly damaged from a bailed wheelie at 60mph. The bike has a custom paint job (nothing real fancy but still custom... check the picture), so buying a new fairing to bolt right on and make it look pretty doesn't work. It's either all new plastic and paint the tank, or try to get someone to match the paint ($$$). The bike is in perfect condition mechanically (no damage to the frame or anything besides cosmetics from the wreck), runs great, has a brand new Metzeler M3 tire on the back and a Yoshi exhaust. I read that a bike like this is good condition is worth at least $2,700 (probably more).

Everything I'm reading says do it, since all I've read of these bikes are amazing reviews... but I decided to stop in here and see what you guys thought. I was thinking of making a Repsol replica (ala Nicky Hayden) anyway, and the plastic for all that is $400 (+ shipping) right now on eBay. I'm not sure how much it would cost to get the tank painted to match. Is that expensive?

If I decide not to go with the Repsol, and just bought unpainted plastic, whats a ballpark cost to get it all painted (tank also) just a basic black or something like that?

So... what say you? To buy or not to buy?

[IMG]local://upfiles/24211/3A838597A48347EFB04C7DF577EB0D70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Default RE: To buy or not to buy?

first of all id check and double check to see if the frame is bent....a 60mph lay down is pretty rough...second..test ride the **** out of it..make sure its in good condition. Also you can do a search for those plastics from ebay...ive heard good and bad...mostly bad..so be carefull with that. Im not sure what the price on getting your tank painted is...but doing the prep yourself is allways cheaper...so id definatley look into it..also 14k is allot for a 99.....i have a 92 f2 with just over 20......so if you do bye id try to get it for at the most 2k...and be prepared to put in work

Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 AM

14000 miles is alot for a 1999 bike??? Are you crazy?? Thats less than 2k miles per year. I also own a 1992 F2 and it has over 43000 miles and is still running strong. Ijust purchased a 2002 CBR954 with 22k miles which is about right for the year. I do agree with Dj in that a 60 MPH laydown is a hard hit and make sure you check the frame carefully..is the title salvaged? Overall I would say $2300 isnt a bad deal especially with those miles.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 AM

milage is relative. I blew my 954 engine in 8000 miles. depends on how hard you beat on them.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Hey, if you plan to go with the aftermarket kit (Repsol or other) from eBay, you better be ready to mod alot of the plastic. I bought a kit similar (Konica Minolta), if you want the info on how it went for me, look back through the forum for Bike Mod, by myself. By all means it is a nice way to go, just more or less a good winter project. You have to fight with the plastic at points, drill alot of holes, and makeshift some ways to get some stuff to fit. Mileage seems ok, just check forks, frame, tires, chain, sprocket, and just about anything and everything. The tank price is dependent upon any type of body work, type of paint, labor rate of who paints, etc... I did it myself and saved money, just not time. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Peace

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 AM

14.5K is low mileage for a 99. My 2000 F4 has like 29.3K and it runs great. The mileage and price is good, but like was said. 60 mph is a hard crash and if it was during a wheelie then it could have hit the ground alot harder then just a low side. I would really make sure the frame, forks and swing arm is not bent.

Like was also said the Ebay plastics are not a bolt and play. You might do better just getting a used factory plastic and having the whole bike painted the way you want or just rattle can'ing it.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to ride the bike later today and give it a thorough look over. If all seems well, I'm gonna pick it up I believe.

Anyone want to buy a '97 Yamaha XJ 600 Seca II????

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like people keep saying, as long as nothing is bent, it sounds like a great deal. I picked up a 2000 F4 with 19,000km on it for 4000$ (back when the canadian dollar was crap... so around the same price.).

Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 PM

haha...oh I guess I didnt realize how low of mileage I have then

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 PM

alright, good news. he did in fact get the frame checked out (at an actual shop) after the wreck and it is unharmed.

he put a new battery in it yesterday and is taking apart the carbs to clean them tomorrow (due to flooding them while trying to start it with the old, dead battery) and i'm probably going to ride it tomorrow and put a lot of the things from this into practice: https://cbrforum.com/m_16005/tm.htm

if all checks out after that, i'll put out my 23 benjamin franklins and take her.

i'll keep ya'll updated and post some pics if i get it so we can get to talking about fixing this fairing issue.