CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike dies after a few minutes of driving on freeway

Old 01-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike dies after a few minutes of driving on freeway

I've recently bought an f4 about a month ago and for the first time I take it on the freeway for about 4 minutes of cruising at 65mph in 6th gear and next thing I know the bike is not maintaining speed and starts to sputter, and while im giving it more throttle to hopefully get it going it just slowly dies down and I try down shifting and giving it gas but it just wouldnt go. So I pulled over the side of the freeway and stopped tried to crank her back up and she wont start. I was afraid to drain out the battery if I kept on trying to start it, so I just sat and waited a few minutes every now and then trying to crank and get her started but nothing...after about 15 minutes on the side of the carpool lane i decided to try and push start on 2nd gear and pop the clutch with full throttle and wola! she started up. I hop back on her and take off for a good mile or so and again she sputters and dies out. So now im off the freeway and im cranking and she wont start. So I wait a bit...about 3 minutes passed, I cranked with very little throttle and she starts up again.. So now im starting to worry.. drove to a gas station and bam dies again. fueled up, and luckily she started again... started on my way home again and bam dies again after 5 minutes of driving. So I do the same thing...WAIT A FEW MINUTES THEN CRANK WITH VERY LITTLE THROTTLE..then BAM! she starts again and im driving for a mile then she dies.. This happened for about 5 to 6 times in a 7 mile trip. What the hell is wrong with my bike [&:] ??? any ideas?? suggestions?? I would greatly appreciate it. bike has 15000 miles on it, stock with slip on, and i have no idea if its been maintenanced by the previous owner.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Bike dies after a few minutes of driving on freeway

the very first thing i would try is to check the air filter. if its starving for air it wont run right. then check the filter in the fuel line, also the filter on the petcock could be clogged. if thats not it check the output on your fuel pump. hope this helps in any way. let us know how it goes.
mike d

Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 PM

i know this is a stupid question but ive known people to do it. is it still choked. sometimes you think you unchoke it and on the carbs its still slightly on. it will then flood your plugs and then when the gas disipates it will start back up.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 PM

probably not getting enough fuel into the engine
check the fuel hose, switch, etc
also check your filter
and look at the temperature it is at the freeway speed

Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 PM

I checked the choke, it was off..not on while riding. Also checked the air filter which is a K & N, it seemed ok (butmy mechanic said it was bad, so we're cleaning it)...No kinked fuel lines of any sort. I didnt check the fuel filter, cuz I dont know how. I did notice that the Temperature (when riding on the freeway) was a bit higher then normal (normal being slightly below half). Maybe that can be the problem? But whats causing the temperature to go up?
I took it to my mechanic and he said it could be the carbs going bad and may need service. So i put it in the shop for a 15k service. I'll keep you guys posted on this particular problem, just in case somebody runs into the same problem. Hope this problem stops after the carbs get serviced. But we'll see after tomorrow!!
Again, thanks for pitchin in a couple of ideas and trying to help me solve the problem. Much love for all you CBR'ers!! Ride on!!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:13 AM

Problem solved!!! Just as I had expected but didnt post it... a bad fuel pump...basically, the pump works but malfunctions after a couple of minutes of running. So what my mechanic did was use Isaac Newtons gravity theory. He ran the fuel line from the tank straight to the injectors bypassing the pump and fuel filter and problem hasnt occured since, so it has to be the pumpi shutting down and cutting off fuel while riding. Basically serviced the bike for nothing, but I love my mechanic and since business is slow might as well help him out with a tune up service to keep him busy and in business. Bike does run smoother and YAY!! no worries about the bike dying out on me.. Hope this helps some of you out there with a similar problem. Demm1234 and Shraz, thanks for chipping in your ideas and all, I highly appreciate it. This is such a great forum.. I cant stop telling people about it. Even my mechanic surfs this site now.