CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike Dies at 230 Degrees???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Dies at 230 Degrees???

The engine cuts off when bike is idle at about 220 and 230 degrees mainly when im on the streets at a red light never while on the move i actually got back to the house let in idle in the driveway and it would cut off about 2-4 mins into letting it sit, ive checked coolant levels everything is fine actually toped off coolant level wait about and hour or two then went back on the rode and the bike did it again at a red light (was actually next to a hottie in a new black audi and i looked like a dumbassfor staling the bike)
just start happening today idk if bike overheated and died or wat but it stays on when i keep the RPM's up but dies in an idle RPM's start dippin below 1RPM then just cuts.....

in advance thanks for the help

Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Do you hear the fan turn on or no?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Elfling
Do you hear the fan turn on or no?
sounds like the fan is not turning on. because of that the bike is doing its auto shut off so you dont pop the head gasket or warp the head ect...

check you fuses. good luck

Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I don't think the fan kicking on has anything to do with your issue. Yes the fan should be turning on but the bike won't die until about 250+ degrees. The ECU won't care if the fan is on or not. The odd part is if you rev it the bike stays running but at idle it will die. At 190 degree where is your idle at?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM

take the battery to an auto parts store and have them do a diagnostic on it. It's not weird that the bike runs at rev but not at idle. The bike produces power in excess of what it needs to run to charge the battery at rev, but at idle it operates at a loss and draws power from the battery. Sounds like your battery sucks.

btw it probably overheats due to poor ignition due to weak spark due to low power due to suck battery

Last edited by dsrdr; 10-27-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
October 2011 ROTM

If the bike had a charging issue it would die at idle no matter what, not just as it got hot so I think you can eliminate the charging issue here.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 PM

No i think it is the battery... my f3 used to do that all the time... i would be riding back home and then at a redlight it would get hot then stall... I had to pop the clutch to get it running again... i took it to the store and turned out the battery spark was really really low... after i recharged it... it never happened again... Does your lights dim when you ride??

Old 10-27-2009, 04:49 PM

ill tell you its definately not the battery i have 12.5volts just checked it with the digi today fuilds ill check and see where it idles at 190 i have to take it out long night last nite and got up late hahaha, and also ill check nd see if fan is running but todays pretty cold im gunna have to push it to get the temp up but im gunna go for a ride and see whats up ill post in a few minutes idk mayb an hour depending on where i go (dont judge me!!)

Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM

ya actually my lights do dim when i ride. (might be cheap suck recharge battery) also the fan is on, also at 190 degrees the bike idles a little under 1RPM but doesnt hit the half mark, also just did it rite now, i ran the bike got temp up to about 190-210 while riding around got home let sit for a few nd got it back up to 228-234 and the dam thing died again in driveway at least..... again all fluids fine even went as far to check the oil and the rest of the fluids nd they are all fine hoses are all in place nuthing cracked or leaking.... ill probably head to autozone or some shop nd have them check the battery
sorry for poor grammer

Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Shouldnt the idle be closer to 1200 or so at operating temps. Try turning the idle up a little to see what happens. The fan kicking in could be just enough draw to cause the bike to die possibly. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Bike Dies at 230 Degrees???