CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike died while Idling, Now wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike died while Idling, Now wont start.

I was getting ready to go to school one day, i started the bike and had it idling out on the driveway. It was idling perfectly for about 3 minutes when it slowly started sputtering to a stop. I started it up again with a little sputter and it ran for about 15 seconds and died again. Then when i tried to start it again it was sputtering like crazy but wouldn't fully start. Now it turns over like normal, just wont start.

I replaced the gas filter about 6months ago, replaced the spark plugs and air filter about a year and a half ago, and replaced the coils about 2 years ago (Due to water damage)

I'm thinking something to do with the gas line? Maybe clogged carburetors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Really sounds like some kind of fuel problem here ... I'm not a carb expert by far but I would definitely start looking into the whole fuel delivery system from start to finish ...

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Dumb thing but did you turn the petcock on? Did the same thing on mine when i took her out from winter storage and I was so focused on expecting carb issues i just totally forgot about it...

Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM

yup, petcock on, fuel in tank, i ride regularly, almost every day.
I think i might have found the issue, i noticed when i turn the bike on i don't hear the usual ticking of the fuel pump...

Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 AM

Alright, so I figured it was the fuel pump, So i took the bike over to my dads to work on, He was taking the tank off and pulled the hose a bit connecting it to the fuel filter, causing a leak, the end of the hose was pretty stretched and loosely attached so he cut the end and put it back on(ordering a new hose). He turns the bike on and hears the clicks of the fuel pump and now the bike starts right up every time. Now he did say the ticking was kinda slow, so i still think the Fuel Pump needs to be replaced (ordered new one already) and i'm not riding the bike till it gets replaced. But WHY would that happen? It was already running, then suddenly died? Why would the fuel pump stop mid-idle, then once some gas leaked out of the line *before it reaches the pump it suddenly starts working again? Weak pump and build-up of pressure? But wouldn't he pressure be on the other side of the fuel pump, going towards the engine, not the gas tank side? I'm confused.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Avi

a bad electronic connection that the removal and reconnection of the fuel line moved a little and brought it back to working order.
check the external contacts. if they seem fine them it may be internal, and so replacing would solve it.

only an assumption, but it fits your description.

Avi

Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 PM

So got it working FINALLY! The last fuel pump never clicked That much when i turned the bike on, maybe 2 or 3 clicks then it would stop. The new fuel pump clicks crazy fast, and it works like a charm! ...well i put the hoses on opposite the first time *like an idiot*, but once i figured out what i did wrong it worked great! lol Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated, helped my thought process along!