CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike+40mph+deer=no bueno

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike+40mph+deer=no bueno

So, as im getting my bike about how i want it after i bought it earlier this year, i was riding home wednesday night and the deer fairy decided to pay me a visit. I was probably about two minutes from being home when, all of the sudden from nowhere i hear plastic break, feel something slam into me and my bike and shove me into the other lane. I somehow managed to keep the bike upright and didnt lay it over! (scuffs on right fairing in the pics are from the previous owner) I didnt even stop! It took me about 5 seconds to realize what happend. I NEVER saw the thing, and the only reason i knew it was a deer was because the hair in the cracks in the fairings. I did go back in my car after i got home, there was a white van driving off from where it happened and there was no deer or bike parts to be found! I only have liability insurance on it because by the time i pay my deductible and everything it would still be totaled per them im sure, so i didnt even waste my time with comprehensive. So here all is what happened, it broke the upper fairing, the headlight, the gauges, the windscreen, the upper fairing support, the plastic around the gauges, the plastic next to the tank, the right fairing, bent the brake lever up and back (my aluminum knuckle plate on my teknic gloves saved my knuckles), somehow swung around and bent the tag, my knee dented the tank on the black 'wing' logo, and something hit my helmet. I decided to go ahead and put her up and repair her over the winter. I have a new fairing stay already on the way. I still need the fairings, if i dont find any ill just take my chances and get the set off ebay. 400 per piece from the stealer is a little steep for my purse. If you guys find anyone selling any of these parts lemme know.

Pics of it pre accident can be found in the picture thread, like page 12

pics, it looks way worse in person where you can actually see all the small stuff thats broken...

Name:  IMG_3348.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  83.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3346.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  98.8 KB
Name:  IMG_3344.jpg
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3343.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  84.9 KB
Name:  IMG_3345.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  91.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3347.jpg
Size:  64.3 KB

Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Bike+40mph+deer=no bueno

All I have to say is... I feel your pain. I F'N HATE deer! If it were up to me I would start a damn deer holocaust. Besides hitting about a half dozen in 4 wheeled vehicles, I had the pleasure of smacking one straight in the guts at a little over 60mphon Sept. 2nd this year on my way home in MN. Feel fortunate you didn't wreck my friend, I got sent into orbit straight over the bars, hit the pavement, parted ways with a bunch of skin and dislocated my right hip, broken collar bone, separated left shoulder and two broken ribs. To make things worse, the deer I hit had a very bad case of constapation, but lucky for him I relieved that when I hit him... the thing shat all over me and my bike, I could barely see out the visor of my helmet after I came to a halt. My god, sick... it was total hell!! Thank god for helmets man. Feel fortunate my friend, deer vs bike collisions are scary, you came out well. Glad to hear your alright. Kind of nice to have a winter project but I bet this isn't quite what you had in mind, nor myself!!

Ebay is a pretty good source for stuff, it's nicer for me because I can be patient, my riding season is done til spring anyway, but I suppose you can ride year round. Keep in mind with the upper fairing, most of them on ebay take a little work to get them to look perfect, but it most certainly can be done. Hope it all goes well, good job keeping it right side up!!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Sorry to hear that man, I wish you all the luck with your rebuild. You are definitly lucky not to have eaten the pavement.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Yes, somehow i was EXTREMELY lucky. For one I didnt go down, and for two there was a car just turning out onto the road coming the other way. If i would have been 10 seconds later I would have been their new hood ornament. I dunno if I should say im lucky or unlucky! Either way it could have been much worse. I did find however upon tearing her down this morning that it also bent the right side of my radiator up and towards the center of the bike. Its not TOO bad so I might be able to get by without swapping it. Ill see how she does next spring when it starts getting in the 80s again. I was almost ready to park it for the winter anyways, so my winter projects got to start a tad early. I also talked to my cousin who manages a body shop, lets just say I dont think im going back with the stock colors!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 AM

dude, sorry to hear!

I would REALLY suggest you get full coverage though. I don't know your age, but I just picked up a policy from State Farm and the agent told me STRAIGHT OUT that state farm does NOT care about tickets you have for a motorcycle policy (as long as you have no more than 3). They do NOT care how many claims you have when quoting an insurance policy. They do NOT care if your bike is a 600 crotch rocket or a 1600 HD. Regardless of the type of bike you have, everyone is rated the same. I'm sure age will have a minor impact, but I picked up 50/100 BI, UI, UIN with 500 collision and 250 comprehensive coverage and it's $348 every 6 months. The damage to your bike alone is going to surprise that in a minute.

Good luck on the repairs!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 AM

IF the bike wasnt 10 years old and so easily totalable (which they would have, ive priced the parts and they wouldnt have given me enough to buy another bike after you take out either a 500 or 1k deductable) I would pay the extra money to have full coverage. I pay a whole 78 a year for my insurance and im only 25. I have been putting aside the extra money just in case of something like this, Its going to be a totally different bike with about $1500 which will put my total investment in it at $4500. I only paid 3k for it earlier this year. Now after I REALLY get it how I want it, I MAY opt for the full coverage. Ill keep everyone updated with my build and ill be parting out some things......

Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 AM

Good luck brotha!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM

dude, it is INCREDIBLE that u managed to keep control after such a strike!! U got good skills, I hope u get everything ur looking for and good thing U got away with no physical harm... laters