CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

beginner rider...which bike to start on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner rider...which bike to start on?

hey guys, im brand new to the site. just found it and thought i post some questions. iv been into bikes for about 6 months. i have only sat on a bike, i never really ridin one, closest thing is a moped. my question is what is a good starter bike. i love the look of the cbr 600s and 900s and stuff, but i heard that they arent great beginner bikes. whats the difference between cbr 600s and a beginner bike besides speed. and 2nd whats the order on getting a permit or liscnese, what classes do u have to take? i would appreciate anythign u guys have to say. thanks alot------brad

Old 08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Retired Admin
Default RE: beginner rider...which bike to start on?

Honda produced stages in their CBR's. Begin on an older 600, or even an F2, although that still has quite a bit of kick. Simply put you are looking at horsepower and gearing. Jump on a newer F4i and compare to an older F2 and trust me just cracking the throttle you will understand the difference. If you are begining don't go nuts with money. Buy something you can afford to crash, because you WILL crash, lightly or not. It's a fact of life when you ride. Gotta earn your broken wings. As for the permit, it depends on your state. In Maine you can simply take a course and be provided a permit until you go to take the license test. Whether you are required to or not I would still highly suggest the course!!! And then be sure you know your motorcycle laws in your state and the laws for each level of licensing. In Maine on a permit you can not drive after dark, no passengers, always a helmet so on....And when licensed the first year is helmeted then you have the option to be daring and fly without one. Be safe man....don't try to be a superhero until your ready!!

Old 08-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Get a beat up honda hurricane an F2 or a Suzuki Gs 500, Maybe yamaha seca II, any bike under under 80 horse like a cruiser and then be prepared to drop the darn thing while going slow amongst lotsa other things while you are learning.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 AM

thanks guys, i think ill be looking for an older f2. if u know anyone wanting to get rid of one let me know. --brad

Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 AM

IMHO, a 600 sportbike is not a beginner bike (though there are many here who will disagree with me). A 600 is not a forgiving bike for beginners. I suggest getting something smaller like a 250 or 500. Learn to ride that, learn precision throttle and braking, then get the bigger bike. Better yet, get a smaller bike, take it to the track, then get a 600 and spank the liter bikes.

on a side note, for those of you who recommend getting an older 600, I don't understand you reasoning. Back in, say, 1994, an F2 was not considered a beginner bike. How would that change now??? Just because you compare it to today's bikes?? While I agree that an older 600 is tamer than today's 600, its no more a beginner bike today than it was when the older bike was new.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Muz

If your interested in sports bikes get something like a CBR 250. They go well and they are similar to ride to a 600 but without the power

Old 08-16-2005, 12:00 AM

well guys, went to look at bikes today and sat on about 5 differnt ones. 3 were 600cc and 2 750cc. they didnt have any 400cc or 250cc. the 2 i liked the most was a ninja, and other a gsxr-600. ill keep u posted.--brad

Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 AM

The F2 seats the rider close to a standard but not quite, my thoughts are that it allows the person to be more confortable looking up at the road, as opposed to the newer bikes which are more race oriented, basically you're not worried about how to sit to change the pressure on your wrists. On top of that the newer F bikes make 8%+ more top end power due to revised engines. Meaning you whack the throttle of an old F2 compared to say an F4i and the roll-on throttle response will be totally different as the engines were redesigned. The F2 is also 20-30lbs heavier which makes a difference in stability as well. Powerbands were set up a bit more tamer than, bikes were race inspired, as opposed to what you get these days.

I mean just look at a Ten Kate Honda, yeah its got like 30 grand in suspension and engine mods, but its still a 600RR/1000RR. I was also looking at it at an economical standpoint, you can get a nice F2 for maybe 2grand a really nice one for like 2500. A new rider will most likely drop the bike, at low speeds. Or do something goofy like try to ride away with the disc lock still on the rotors...

Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 PM

I had never ridden before and I started on a one cylinder 1995 Suzuki Savage. It is 650cc but its slow as dirt. Had it for about 4 to 5 months now I ride an 02 F4i. Start with a small cruiser like a 250cc Honda Rebel.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 AM

you are not going to find the kinds of bikes at a dealer (most likely). Check ebay or your local classifieds for them.

In Indiana you don't even have to take a class, just a written test and a skills/riding test. If you take the MSF class, you do not have to take the skills/riding test at the BMV.

Quick Reply: beginner rider...which bike to start on?