CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

are all 5 pin voltage regulators made the same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are all 5 pin voltage regulators made the same?

The real question I have is; can I just plug in the new r/r like the one I pull off? (Common sense says plug the same wires to the same wires from the old unit to th new unit). Are all 5 pin r/r's manufactured to have the same posi and negative pins or are some made different? because there are no posi and neg markings on r/r's and I don't want to plug up the wrong way.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't assume. The new r/r sometimes can be color-coded different,
if you cross species.

The honda generally runs three yellow from the stator.These are interchang-able.
i.e. no special order to them.

Then Honda uses red for positive and green for ground.

The replacement may have a different pin-out on the connector.
You should be able to verify it with either the documentation,
visually or a tad of google research.

As far as cross-compatability, yes all modern r/r's do the same thing, the same way.

I would recommend, only substituting with a similar displacement (or larger).
The larger bikes are engineered for higher-output and more robust electrical demands.

Ern

Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the reply and great info. To get into more detail, I've installed all new stator wires and beefed up posi and negative wires from the r/r straight to battery with an inline 30 amp fuse on pos side. I've been getting these ten dollar r/r's off ebay and I fasten a double size heat sink with a little built-in cpu fan. When the next r/r burns up and I replace it, I want to know if there is an easier way to find out wich is posi and which is negative other than just assuming I can plug the new unit in like the old is plugged in, might burn it up.( I guess that it will start smoking and ****, then burn up if the posi and neg wires are crossed, that's one way to find out! lol joking) I really can't tell wich is wich.it came with no diagram inside the box and I can't find out who made it. I never have problems with r/r burning up til it gets ninty degrees or higher ,late spring into summer. Hopefully with with what I've experienced last year and the preps I've taken, it won't eat up r/r's like last warm season. Anyway I hope I'm not confusing when I'm describing what I'm trying to say. Thanks again for the info madhattr

Last edited by cBrentb; 01-25-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if you bought a decent R/R from a manufacturer with a solid reputation you wouldn't have problems, no matter how hot it gets !
I was out 2 days ago, temp ouside was 45C and 95% humidity and I was stuck in traffic -
I think if I had been running a cheap reg.rec it would have let go for sure.

Look up Electrex Systems
There are a number of us who run their units, firstly because they have a HUGE heatsink built in, and second because they put out more current and start charging at 1400 revs instead of 3000RPM on the others.

I wouldn't run anything else.

And +1 on MadHattrs comments.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I think if you bought a decent R/R from a manufacturer with a solid reputation you wouldn't have problems, no matter how hot it gets !
I was out 2 days ago, temp ouside was 45C and 95% humidity and I was stuck in traffic -
I think if I had been running a cheap reg.rec it would have let go for sure.

Look up Electrex Systems
There are a number of us who run their units, firstly because they have a HUGE heatsink built in, and second because they put out more current and start charging at 1400 revs instead of 3000RPM on the others.

I wouldn't run anything else.

And +1 on MadHattrs comments.
Which electrex R/R is compatible with the F4? Mine is dieing right now and I'm looking at my options.

BTW I believe the correct link to Electrex is http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acata...ifier_206.html