CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

00 F4 Battery/Charging/Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 F4 Battery/Charging/Starting Issue

Hey all,

New to the forum. Been looking over a lot of older posts and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem or may know which direction to go. Here's the situation:

Problem: Battery dead and have trouble starting...

Battery has been tested 3 times at the auto store and they say its fine and holds a charge. I can trickle the battery for 12 hours and get about 2-3 good starts out of it. If I go on longer rides over 20 minutes it will generally start no problem.
If it won't turn over I can push start it no problem.
Once in a while if the battery seems dead, and it turns over slowly at first if I hold in the start button it will keep cranking and then actually crank faster and then eventually start after me pulling the throttle and a couple pops out of the exhaust.
There is no clicking coming from starter. Just clean cranks. Though sometimes weak...
Standing battery voltage is 12.46
Voltage at 2500 is 13.9
Voltage at 5000 is 14.1

I saw some mention of the voltage regulator being an issue and overheating, but the voltage tests i found seem to pass no problem. though it is hot like everyone says.

Any thoughts? I am broke and don't really have the money to keep replacing random parts to find the issue so I was hoping for some direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

B

Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 AM

There may be a short or something ... I'm thinking there is something not fully turning off when ignition is off and will drain your battery? Best thing to do i guess is get a test light and randoml poke terminals when ignition is off to see if it's still on when it's not supposed to be

Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Anyone have any other ideas, anyone ever have something similar to this?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by b600f4
Anyone have any other ideas, anyone ever have something similar to this?
check to see if you VR is operating at temps above recommended

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Don'y have a way to do that but I was thinking since it seems to start up the best right after a long ride, VR would be the hottest then, that that probably isn't my issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

B,

First off, welcome to the forum. Electrical probs are hard to diagnose, especially via the interweb but maybe we can help.

As you've prob read in recent threads & others, the R/R seems to be a common problem w/ our F4's. Perhaps this is the issue w/ your F4. The old F4 R/R has been superceded by an improved design by Honda. It performs better & cools more easily. It has fins where the old design did not.

When I see threads these days on the charging issue, I tend to think of the R/R first if you're still using the old design. Its going to go bad, its just a matter or when. That's not to say that it couldn't be something else...b/c it very well could be...but...you've mentioned that your battery is *good*. If all your connections are good & no other electrical probs present, then most likely its the R/R. It could be the stator but generally, unless the stator has experienced some trauma, its usually something else.

When my R/R went bad last yr, I initially got false *good* readings from the R/R...& started looking at other things. After going full circle checking everything else, I came back to the R/R...did research, talked to Honda techs, & eventually discovered the superceded replacement R/R that Honda uses to replace the orig design. Since replacement, I've not experienced any further problems.

If the R/R is indeed your problem, you can replace this yourself by buying the part & simply plugging it in & bolting it on to your subframe. There's no need to pay a service chg + labor for a tech/mechanic to do this.

Keep us updated & hope you can resolve it easily & as inexpensively as possible.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:38 AM

If I was to go to the dealer or wherever to get the OEM part would that be a corrected/updated one? Do I need to get one from an 600 RR since that one had been improved? But would it connect up and work the same? Or is there a known aftermarket part that works better? I had my back end all taken apart and i think it would be pretty easy to install the new one. Just wanted to make sure I got the right part.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 04-24-2010, 12:10 PM

i had the same problem i took my seats off n there is a short in one of the wires, my friend has the same bike with the same problem, if u google it online u can actually get the wiring diagram, its actually really easy n simple ull feel kinda simple afterwards...lol jk, but the easyest way to test is to use a handheld n check the wires n volts goin thru them

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM

I had pulled the seat and back plastic off many times and tried tracing wires to see if there was just something lose but can't seem to find anything unless it's a little deeper than i could reach?

Quick Reply: 00 F4 Battery/Charging/Starting Issue