CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

wheel horse power

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel horse power

Hello, anyone knows what power at the wheel has a cbr F3 1998 ?
thank you.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Default RE: wheel horse power

The last time I had my 95 F3 on a dyno it kicked out 79hp.Except for a slip on it's fairly stock
I have no idea what happens with the 97/98 models
Manufacturer don't usually give out those specs since they are much less then the specified power which isn't the power on the wheels.(almost like PMPO watts on speakers)

Old 01-17-2007, 11:17 AM

thanks gerhard

Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 PM

79 sounds low....should be high 80's to low 90's depending on mods and tune and day of the week it was built on. The magazine tests had number from 85 to 92 on a stock bike. (90 for a 97 F3 on motorcycle.com).

I'll have my 98 track bike on a dyno in March (its 8 degrees here now).....full V&H high pipe and a jet kit....so will be a mild bike to get numbers from.

JB

Old 01-17-2007, 05:23 PM

79hp soundslow to me also. A good running F2 should be around 85-88 hp stock. A good running F3 should be around 90-92 hp stock. IT also could be the dyno, different dynoes produce different results!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 AM

It's not inposseble because I have some trouble with the carbs but I've given up on trieng to fix it. Just driving it and looking around for another set of stock carbs.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:18 AM

Horsepower is WAY over rated. There are so many factors, figures, and equations to determine true horsepower. So, one persons or dynoes HP is always different than the others. I recently did a little research on "horsepower" in general and I was overwhelmed.

My opininion: 79 sounds more like it maybe 79-85. mid 90's? no way. My 03' 600RRis probably barely breaking 100 maybe 95-99.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 AM

Personally I think the only reason why there is so many definitions of the same thing is so manufacturers can sell there products. If you can exaggerate you're specifications in a "legal" way, you can fool the ignorant into buying you're stuff.It's like selling a 5meters of string and then discovering you're string is actualy 4.5meters so then you invent a new unit of measurement called Japanese meters (0.9meters), which is almost 1 meter but just short enough so you can fit 5 into 4.5 meters but not long enough to be 1meter.
Now a meter is a meter.Who cares if it's Japanese or not.So everybody assumes it must be the same.
...but it isn't!

PS. No hard feelings towards our Japanese friends who by the way make excellent bikes

Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM

Who said mid 90's ??? I have seen 2 F3's, both 98's and one pulled a 90.6 and the other was a 91.9, stock. Thats not mid 90's hp.

Gerharddvs,
your poor runing carbs explain why your bike pulled that lower number. I havenot personally seen a F2 run on the dyno, but internet results show about 4-6 hp less than a F3. Get those carbs fixd!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Yeah, HP is overrated....I hate that horsepower....

Dyno's certainly vary....but if they are calibrated it might be 2%...not 10%....the software in the dyno equipement will correct for tempand pressure differences to some extent....so you should stll see some consistancy in numbers fromvarious area's.

The typcial "cheap" dyno's are whats called "inertia" dynos - and certainly aren't cheap at $5K+ a pop. They measure the rate at which the bike spins up a drum. When you know the weight and dimensions of that drum, and measure the change in speed its spinning at, its a measure of HP. Higher end dyno's are called "eddie current" or "brake" dyno's. On these, there is a mechanism in the dyno that actually measures how much power it takes to hold back the engine/wheel. You open the throttle wide open, and the dyno will gradually let the wheel spin up...these are the most accurate....and the most expensive.. You are actually measuring torque, and calculating HP with the torque data and a time measurement. Superflo makes a very good one.

As for "different" horsepower...there are twopoints of measurement. Net (engine only, noaccessories or drive line)and Gross (at the wheel)....Net will be more than Gross...by a lot. You're right...manufactures will tout HP numbers that sound best.For example, a Nissan Maximahas a 190hp engine....a lot of shops find it makes 140 at the wheels (I'm a member on one of those forums, haven;t done this first hand)....you are spinning alternators and all the mass in the transmission, wheelsand so on.

your 600RR...its makes more than 100 at the wheel. My 98 zx6r dyno'd 98.x at the wheel.I got in a drag race with a 600rr at Road America, and the way he left me behind in the straight sections was quite sobering....easy 10hp difference.

Engineers can talk this stuff all day, so ask away....

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a little while, you realize the pig likes it."

Quick Reply: wheel horse power