CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

what tool do i need to connect broken fairings back together?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tool do i need to connect broken fairings back together?

I decided not to go naked, a lot of works. My rear fairing is broken in half. Basically, I have one piece that have a hole for the gas draincock thing, that stick to the frame with the platic screw . Then the rear part going to the tail light. I used black duct tape for tape them together and to the frame. How do I connect them back together? Platic welding tools? Buy where? And I got deep scratches everywhere, what can I do to with those scratches to restore flat surfaces? I will read up on "how to paint " thread. Thank you. THe guy sold the bike to me didn't take good care for the bike.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Default RE: what tool do i need to connect broken fairings back together?

the scratches bondo the joining part i dont know ive seen ppl with some kinda staples but dont know what it is

Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM

there is such a thing as plastic welding.....they use hot air and plastic filler rods. Some ATV repair shops do this to repair torn fenders and such.

I used Devcon Plastic Welder once...seemed to work OK. You can get it at Walmart, or any hardware store.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:02 AM

I've had my fairing nearly split in two and this is what i've done. You take masking tape to hold the fairing together on the outside. then you take a really strong adhesive/bond/puddy and you apply it on the flip side very very generously. Let it dry and it should hold it together quite well. Remove the masking tape and sand anything down that needs to be smoothed out. Make sure when you choose the adhesive, you choose one that drys HARD.
As far as scratches... sand it down and apply touch up paint or spray paint the whole piece.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Here is what I did to fix a broken fairing. I taped the pieces together on the front. Then you flip the piece over and with a 100+ watt soldering gun, you slowly weld the piece back together. Basically you are melting the pieces together. Be careful not to burn through the fairing though. You work your way all the way up or down the seam in a criss cross pattern. Next get some plastic bond from the parts store- Autozone, Advance, all the big name stores carry it. It comes in a 2 tubes basically molded together-works like JB Weld. You apply it very liberally to the "welded" section. Basically you are installing a filler and reinforcing what you "welded". You can then weld the front if you would like also but I left it alone. I haven't finished it completely but I can install it like it is and ride. From a distance, you can not even tell it was broke. I am going to go back later and install the plastic epoxy to the front and after it cures, sand the fairing down and prime it for paint.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:59 AM

I have a 98 f-3 that had been laid down- front fairing was split under the turn signal mount and the inner was split as well. I saw an ad on ESPN for a product called Cool Chem- its a resin with an activator spray. You can get a trial sample for like 20 bucks from Cool Chem's web page. It worked great! I was even able to flex the fairing moments after I bonded it together.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Plastic welding is the best way to go finishing it off with bondo priming and painting. But if you cant get it welded the next best thing that I have used in the past is Gorrillia Glue. It works like crazy.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

I would not use bondo on plastic. I built custom cabinets for about 4 years and we used a lot of bondo - do not use it and think that it will hold the plastic because it will not. It would even be a poor choice for filler.

BEFORE YOU PLASTIC WELD ANYTHING TOGETHER - USE 320 GRIT AUTOMOTIVE SANDPAPER AND CLEAN THE EDGES OF ANYTHING YOU PLAN TO WELD.

For the broken fairings, do as described with taping the outside - but tape the inside first. Fit the piece back in it's place on the bike and then plastic weld the outer side first. You need to do it that way to ensure that your new weld follows the contour of the bikes original shape. If you get it wrong, it won't fit right, and you'll prolly have to break it apart again and start over. Once you've finished the outside and let it dry, remove the fairing and gob the HELL out of the inside.

For the deep scratches, same thing, use plastic weld. First, clean the scratches out very well. Get a rubber spreader (usually used for bondo on cars or whatever), and apply it liberally to the scratches. Let it dry, sand it down and repeat until there are no air pockets left and it it super smooth.

For a complete description on the process, read that "paint a bike" thread.