CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Unusual Things That Happen On Your Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unusual Things That Happen On Your Bike

A small group of riders from my club were going up to Fort Smith Arkansas for an annual picnic with another club from there. This would be the first long distance ride since I put it back together. So, the night before, as I do often before I ride, I did a maintenance check and double checked all the nuts and bolts, oil pan drain plug etc... to make sure they were tight. Topped off the fluids, and washed and shined the bike. I live in Tulsa, Ok and the drive to Fort Smith is about an hour and a half ride via one of the many turnpikes here. That morning I checked the tire pressure, geared up and met up with the group at Micky D's. The first part of the ride before the first toll gate wentwell. Kicked it up a notch on some open roads nothing major. At one point I know we got over 120mph for a few miles, but broke it down to around 75, 80 on average. Coming up to the first toll gate, I started to down shift without tapping the brakes, but when it was time to use the brakes, my rear brake went all the way to the ground! Front brakes were fine. After going through and paying the toll, I pulled over and waited on everyone else and checked the bike out. I noticed fluid all over the rear of the bike including the rear tire! At first I didn't know what it was, but it turned out to be brake fluid. What happened was, the plastic tie strap that was holding my brake line down somehow slipped, causing the the rear tire to rub a hole in the line. We continued on to Fort Smith and I found a shop that was open and had a used brake line that he gave me. Needless to say I was riding like little old lady the rest of the way there, but I always think about what could have happened when I had up to 120mph! The bike Gods were shining down on me that day.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a wasp in my visor at 70mph...I never knew my bike could stop so quick...ripped off the helmet and waving my arms around like a lunatic lol...stupid isn't it risking a crash rather than a sting...I hate them!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Took off from Portland and headed up towards Mt. St. Helens with a friend of mine. We were at the farthest point in our ride 100 miles from Portland and 30 miles from the closest town and way out of cell phone range. There is a viewpoint there that I always stop at. Well this time I pull in, climb off the bike, and somehow have a flat rear tire. Dammit!!! I have no tire repair kit, no air, nothing. My friend takes off for a general store we passed about 5 miles back. I wait about a half hour for her return. While waiting a couple guys (one riding a bimmer and one riding a Monster) pull up to the overlook. The guy on the Monster happens to have an air compressor. Pump it up and air is pouring out of a slit in the tire! My friend returns with nothing! Oh well, must ride on! We head back to the general store me riding on the rim at 20mph fishtailing the whole way there on the wet, leaf covered road. I tell the guy at the general store to just give me anything I can stuff into a tire. I go out and try filling it up with air once more. He comes back with a tube of rubber cement, a screwdriver and a piece of road tar he picked up while walking over. Macgyver to the rescue! LOL! Screw it, I covered the tar in rubber cement and jammed it through the tire with the screwdriver. Cut off the piece that was hanging off and filled it up. The air held!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Road all the way home at like 80mph! This was in like October and that tire is still holding the air! Disclaimer: Changing it next week lol.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 PM

haha thats pretty extreme

Old 03-14-2008, 10:44 PM

lol innovation

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM

Yeah it was crazy! I'm just glad I made it home ok.