CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

total noob - 98 f3 sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default total noob - 98 f3 sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders

im new to the board and a complete noob with bikes. I have a 98 cbr f3 that the guy before me stunted. For the past year its run fine around town but on longer trips it would stall out on me until it cooled then ran fine again.

On the last trip i took with it, it kept stalling on me and i had it towed back home. I went to start it yesterday after sitting for a couple weeks and it sounds like its only running on a couple cylinders.

The rectifier i know is bad because there is a burnt wire on that but what else could be causing this?

cdi
tdi

i have no idea where those are or what they really do but someone had mentioned that before

right now the bike will start with the choke on but when you get to about 4k rpm its sounds horrible. Definitely not firing on all 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 AM

gas, air & spark = running engine. You need to figure out if its a fuel or spark problem. Do you have the repair manual? If not I would strongly suggest getting one. The bike is almost 12 years old. Alot of the electrical components do fail after 12 years. Coil, CDI, R/R, etc..The link below might help with electrical. It was posted by another member and it helped me.

http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/gener...lt_finding.pdf

Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 AM

When my regulator went to hell it sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. Repair the burned wire, do the electrical diagnostics, and i'm willing to bet that your R/R is fried. Make sure you charge the battery, putting a new r/r onto a dead battery is just asking to smoke the new none.

The R/R on the 98 is prone to heating up and going bad, theres lots of threads on the board here about replacing it with other manufacturers.

*points to the search feature*

Hopefully this helps.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM

+1. First and foremost, replace your R/R. I reccomend getting one from a Yamaha R6 or a Gixxer. The Honda ones are absolute utter trash.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM

One of the best ways to check and see if your are running on all cylinders is to start it when its cold and immediately touch each the pipes on the header (ofcourse make sure your hand is wet, spit on the tips of your hand if you have to and don't keep your hand on it long) whichever pipe is cold and/or colder (because you will get some residual heat from the other pipes) is the cylinder that is not getting good fire!! Doesn't always work but most of the time it works really well!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 AM

thanks for the replies guys. I'm pretty much positive its the rectifier. The wire in the middle of the plug on the top was fried. Completely black same with the plug on the r/r itself. Searching around last night seems like the common thing to cause what i have.

I see people putting the gsxr 04-05ish on theirs. I hate to ask but can someone find me an ebay link or something? I just want to make sure i'd be looking at the proper one if i went that route. This is all repeat for you guys but its brand new for me.

I saw some guys write-up on the swap and think that would be the best route... im just not sure. I'm fine buying a stock one again and just wiring a pc fan to it or run an air duct to help cool it.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM

I put this one on my bike about a week ago. It was cheap & shipped fast. I'm sure I'll here from someone about how I should have bought another one. But thats my 2 cents.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Heres a pic of the old & the new one. Just wanted to remind you. After you get it hooked up & the bike running. Check your voltage at the battery you should be getting 13 to 14 volts. If you are, your battery is charging. Then put it all back together & go riding!!

Attached Thumbnails total noob - 98 f3 sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders-2009-08-15-001.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 PM

uggggggh i typed something really long and internet lagged out...

bought brand new rectifier from local shop

installed

bike stilll wont start -doing same thing. run with choke but cannot take
any throttle

disconnect battery and look at the bike wondering wtf to do

dont touch anything and just plug the battery back up and it runs fine

go for a ride 2 miles into the ride bike acts up and dies

lose all power. nothing turns on - no lights, nothing

bring back to home - check fuses - fuse to power wire is blown - replace bad fuse try to start and nothing - install brand new battery and back to stage one where it starts with full choke but wont let me do anything...

help!!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM

fuel cut off relay. i am certain of this. check out this post i wrote in another thread, 4 posts down: I had the same problem with the exception of the no power/no lights ect.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/cbr-f3-floods-cylinder-please-help-98674/

Last edited by busyychild; 09-03-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: total noob - 98 f3 sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders