CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Toasty! (Yes another R/R thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toasty! (Yes another R/R thread)

Ok a little back story...(97 F3)

I rode to work the other day, no problems. Started up and ran fine for the ride home. Decided to go visit my Mom at her house, and when I go to leave there's no juice to even crank the motor. So I throw the battery charger on for a few minutes and get it started, ride it home. Later on in the evening out of curiosity I try starting my bike and it fires right up. So, I ride for about 45 mins. and towards the end of my ride I'm noticing the bike acting very strange - headlight dimming when the turn signals click on, LED body lights are dim or not on at all...and starting out into first gear the bike almost stalls. Well, I was nervous to say the least that I wouldn't get it home...luckily I did. So the next day I decide to do a little troubleshooting. I walk out to the garage with multimeter in hand. Battery was near completely dead - charged it. I take the tail plastic off to inspect the regulator/rectifier. At first glance it looked fine but upon removing the wire harness I find this

Name:  0501102001.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  69.2 KB

Obviously things got a little heated in that plug. The wire that was connected to the toasted pin was a stator lead and had completely burnt itself up, no connection whatsoever. I checked the resistance across the stator leads while I had the plug out and they were all about 0.5 ohms - from what I read on this forum that is within the "good" range so I am assuming the stator is still good. I am going to replace the R/R with a GSXR unit from ebay and hardwire it on. Hopefully this will solve the problem!

So, what I want to say is Thank you to all the members of this forum for the information that gets posted here. Without forums like this I would probably be so lost and discouraged that I would want to just give up on the bike lol. But, thanks to all the members here I was able to diagnose and identify the problem with almost no effort, plus I got the info I needed to fix the issue. I owe you guys! I'm hoping to be up and running again within a week. Thanks again folks!

Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Good choice on the GSX/R replacement. That connector probably burned up due to a loose or corroded connection. The fact that you're going to solder it up will take care of that. Looks like you've got this all figured out. Good job.