New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

another new guy thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another new guy thread

Hey guys, just bought a 1990 cbr 600f today for my first real sportbike, and I am totally stoked! Couple of cracks in the fairings, but other than that it is in great shape. Has 12k on the clock with a new clutch and recent tune up, but the previous owner said I have to get the carbs synced and thats it.

I took it out for a quick whirl around the block tonight, and while it was under load and I gas it to at least 6-7k, it starts to bog down and sputter. But when I am giving it a little throttle, it revs just fine. More than likely its because the carbs aren't synced properly right?

Also while shifting through gears, it sorta feels like it it shifting a little too hard. Bad shift linkage? Then again, I am still a newbie to sportbikes, so I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Anything else I should worry about with this particular bike?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey hey howdy! Welcome aboard!

Might swing into the CBR 600F section for bike specific questions. On the general tip I'd suggest finding the service manual (or asking the in 600F section), find out the maintenance schedule and assume none of its been done. Lot of things may clear up with getting the scheduled maintenance done. Definitely change all the fluids (oil / brake / coolant).

Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Welcome to the forum, first off I'd give her the once over , new oil filter, air filter, plugs etc ...drop a little carb cleaner in the tank run it through it.

no matter what the PO said ..... don't forget he was the seller .....! meaning they say that to make it sound better for selling.
He/she may not have done a thing in years !

A carb sync is in any event always a good move no matter what.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, man. Yep, oil and filter change is certainly on the "to do" list with any "new" bike. As far as the clunky shifting, that's pretty normal with CBRs if it's just a little clunking noise when going through the gears. If it won't go into gear, it could be the clutch adjustment.
The hesitation could be a sync issue, but could also be a partially plugged jet. (or a couple other things)
I'd run some seafoam/carb cleaner through it and see if it helps any, then sync, and if it's still got issues... I'd probably cleaning up the carbs manually.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Is seafoaming bikes as fun - and by fun I mean a pain in the *** - as seafoaming cars?

actually making some WOT runs with all that black smoke billowing out IS sorta fun now that I recall

Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I just got her registered this morning and spent the entire afternoon riding it around the state to get used to it. Definitely starting to fall in love

Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Is seafoaming bikes as fun - and by fun I mean a pain in the *** - as seafoaming cars?

actually making some WOT runs with all that black smoke billowing out IS sorta fun now that I recall
I think they're talking about using it in the "slow clean" method of 1oz per gallon of fuel and driving normally.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they're talking about using it in the "slow clean" method of 1oz per gallon of fuel and driving normally.
Yep, that's what I do. Although I usually use a bit more than the recommended dose.
You can still do it the "other" way, though.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM

what exactly is this "other" way?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by rustyeffect
what exactly is this "other" way?
Basically, you use a vacuum hose to suck undiluted Seafoam directly into the engine. Once you've done that you rev the hell out of the engine , cough a lot and yell loudly "No, NOTHING IS ON FIRE!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another new guy thread