CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Timing problems? I think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing problems? I think?

So I woke up this morning and cranked up my 98 CBR600 F3 which I have been riding for the last 2 months every day or every other day now with NO issues WHATSOEVER. NO ISSUES. I got on the road and was crusing about 90 or so not really getting on her hard and then suddenly she started sputtering like I was running outta gas. Well I just filled the tank 3 days ago and there was about 3/4 tank full. I added fuel additive thinking bad gas...no change. I changed the spark plugs today, brand new NGKs...still no change so heres what she's still doing:

It cranks up fine. I can rev all the way up to redline if I wanted and its fine, no stalling, no bogging down, throttle roll is perfectly responsive. When I put her into 1st gear its fine until I get around 8-9k, shift to second and it'll go a lil but it sputters a bit, 3rd gear and she sputters and dies under her own power and when I roll the throttle i get nothing. If I pull in the clutch lever the throttle will and I can rev her up but once back in gear its back to sounding like its not gettin gas and I get nothing but sputter sputter sputter. I've talked to a couple friends and one said that it sounds like a timing issue or a flywheel out of sync. So if anyone has any idea what this could be I'd appreciate your help.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Check your hoses for the air system. My F3 did that at one time. All is was one of the hoses had popped off.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Ive looked and cant find any hoses off. Its REALLY bugging me tho cuz its been PERFECT for the last 2 months. lol. tomorrow Im gonna try and check the timing and whatever else I can check.

Last edited by ICEmonky; 02-14-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 PM

so does no one have any ideas that might help me out? lol, 38 views and just 2 replies

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 AM

You say "Sounding like its not gettin gas". Well is it or not? It could be any number of things. Sounds like its only sputtern when its under load. It could even be an electrical problem..I have had CDI, R/R & Fuel pump all fail. All 3 of those were similar, My bike ran like s**t until they quit working completely. The CDI was on my Interceptor but proved to be a tough diagnose until it failed completely. Is this an intermittent prob? I would start with the basics. Hoses, Fuel filter, etc..Keep diggin, you will figure it out, and keep us posted....

Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 PM

I know that its getting gas and it only sputters under a load yes. As for the problem, like I said shes been runnin perfectly strong for the last 2 months and then suddenly I took her out, got on her a lil and now ka-putz. I described whats goin on at the very beginning of this thread. I changed the spark plugs, brand new NGK-Rs, did an oil change a week ago, added some fuel additive to clean the gas, checked the fuel filter and it flows plenty good. Just ordered a new fuel pump switch and gona change that this week when it comes in, the contacts are burnt up pretty bad so Im hoping thats the issue but if its not then Im runnin out of ideas as to what it could be.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 PM

you tried giving the carbs a good clean? just an idea.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Im trying everything else I can think of. Carb clean and valve timing is last thing on my list to have done. If the new fuel pump switch doesnt work then im getting a new stator or cdi

Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Ok for those of you who have said electrical, I just noticed that my rear tail lights no longer work. Thats another thing I have to look into now -.- this shicrapit is REALLY starting to bug the hell outta me.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ICEmonky
Ok for those of you who have said electrical, I just noticed that my rear tail lights no longer work. Thats another thing I have to look into now -.- this shicrapit is REALLY starting to bug the hell outta me.
ok nevermind this one, im an idiot...blown fuze. nada left to say bout that. But i am still having issues with it not running right, or running anywhere past 3-4k in 2nd gear @ 30mph if Im lucky.

Quick Reply: Timing problems? I think?