CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Ticking noise while running

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise while running

Hey folks,

Everytime i start the bike i hear a ticking noise that only gets faster as i slowly rev the bike (past 4K i can't hear it, but probably because its too loud).

I'm not 100 % but i think it goes away after the engine is hot enough.

I pulled apart the head to do a valve clearance check and everything looks good. All the margins are on near the lower end of the acceptable scale, but still within range.

Could it be the CCT? Are the sounds from CCT ticking nearly similar to those of a valve clearance issue?

Bike has 55K on it. I'm the second owner, bought it at 45K last season.

Appreciate the help!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It could be anything. "Engine tick" doesn't say much.

You have to stethoscope the sound and pinpoint it. It could be CCT - but I will tell you this, CCT noises can often be described as a "rattle" as well as a "tick".

Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM

I'll try the stethoscope Tuesday night and post back. I did anothe clearance check with a more fine feeler guage and everything is in spec (by.02 points)
My 4a intake is the furthest deviation at 0.13 , but still within the range.
All other intakes are either .14 or .15

All exhaust valves are either .23 or .24

More updates to follow.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check downpipe exhaust gaskets and loose nuts on exhaust studs

Nothing worse than a tick you can't scratch.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:07 AM

CCTL to me sounds more like a the edge of a piece of paper hitting a fan randomly. It starts low like that, which could be mistaken for a ticking. But it will progressivly get worse to sounding like something in a can rattling. I am replacing mine tomorrow actually!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by NewSense45
CCTL to me sounds more like a the edge of a piece of paper hitting a fan randomly. It starts low like that, which could be mistaken for a ticking. But it will progressivly get worse to sounding like something in a can rattling. I am replacing mine tomorrow actually!
snap! that's exactly how mine sounds.
I got a chance to stethoscope last night (bless the wife for letting me work till wee hours in the night). Noise was on the right side, right in the CCT area.

Ordering a replacement part tonight to replace tomorrow. Will get some gaskets as well, i think its time i replaced the main head gasket as well.

It sounded like ticking but once a stethoscope got near you could totally tell it was more like a rattle.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BioRouge
snap! that's exactly how mine sounds.
I got a chance to stethoscope last night (bless the wife for letting me work till wee hours in the night). Noise was on the right side, right in the CCT area.

Ordering a replacement part tonight to replace tomorrow. Will get some gaskets as well, i think its time i replaced the main head gasket as well.

It sounded like ticking but once a stethoscope got near you could totally tell it was more like a rattle.
Glad I could help! Hey dont forget to get the CCTL gasket! I made that mistake... had to wait now....

Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 PM

Holy crow- this is like one bad soap opera lol.

I decided to give it one more check with a stethoscope to be 120% (and partly because of I was pretty damn tired when I did it the first time around).

Found a couple of things. My CCT is rattling, but not nearly as much. It's not audible outside of the case (yet!).

The rattling is definitely on the right side of the engine, located it down to around the breather case / Spark plug #4.

I let the engine cool and after one more tear down (My wife thinks I spend more time working on this bike than I do riding it). Started another clearance check to ensure my numbers match. Everything matched, EXCEPT 3A (.26mm) & 4B (.27mm). How I didn't catch it the first time around is beyond me.

Too tired for tonight - will take the cam shaft apart tomorrow and measure the shims to get replaced. Luckily the local Honda dealer has all the shims in stock for 5$ a pop. I also ordered a replacement head cover gasket ($45 - wtf..), noticed a few slivers of rubber coming off the original - may as well replace it!

I will say this - the weather has been extremely cooperative this entire week. It's been nothing but thundershowers all day long here in Toronto since Monday. So I don't feel too bad about not being able to ride lol

Sprock - Thanks a bunch for your suggestion as well. I noticed a few things were under specified torque - so i went all out commando with my torque wrench and the manual on just about everything in the immediate area.

Last edited by BioRouge; 05-14-2014 at 10:34 PM.