CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Throttle sensor! / carb help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle sensor! / carb help

Okay, so in an effort to make out what the '95-'96 cbr 600 f3 manual was considering to be the "plug" for carb #1, I had fiddled with the throttle sensor plug and pulled it off without loosening the torque/allen screw that holds it in at the top.

It didn't really break but the plastic that allows it to clip in has chipped off. I currently have it ziptied in place and I made sure that the little black piece inside makes contact as it should.

I was wondering how crucial it is to order a new throttle sensor in case this one has become faulty? Also, what exactly does it control/allow for?

This happened in the process of attempting to sync the carbs. It seems that reaching at the "black caps" to access the vacuum ports of carbs 2,3,4 is difficult. I can't picture how a plier would reach in and around all the stuff crowded around the carbs. And it seems to require a long screw driver just to adjust the carbs. Am I looking at the right area? (under the carbs-more specifically, under their rubber boots which channel the A/F mix into the intake manifold)

The diagrams in the manual are fairly hard to read...or maybe it's just me

Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Default RE: Throttle sensor! / carb help

anyone?

Is this the brand that's most desired?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sync-...motiveQ5fTools

Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, sorry, I just got your PM... for some reason the little box didn't pop up to let me know you sent it.

The TPS sends information to the computer about the "throttle position" - basically how much demand you are giving to the engine and how fast.

The computer then reacts by advancing or retarding the spark to meet the demand, some also add more fuel to the mixture by means of an accelerator pump if the throttle is cracked open quickly to avoid stalling.

If you can make sure the TPS doesn't fall off and is functioning properly you may not need to replace it, I'm sure you can get a whole new set of carbs on ebay for less than $100 and just take the TPS from it.

It's a very tight space to work on the carbs, you'll probably have to remove everything that is in your way to get the job done - probably have to get creative too.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know that the TPS had such an impact on the bike.

As for the carb syncing, it's almost as if the placement of the spigots is a detterent for the average hobbyist to get at [:'(].

I just ordered a MOTION PRO synchronizer off ebay and i'll be excited to get this done!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Okay, so after a few hours of work, I got the carbs synced evenly while at operating temperature and while at idle. It took a lot of adjusting of the 3 screws to get it right and it seemed like as soon as I'd test it by giving it throttle, the vacuum across all 4 carbs would deviate from the "equilibrium" that was just present before! What a pain..

I felt like I needed to do this carb sync because my idle, since purchasing the bike, has always been "rough." I mean that in the way that once the bike is warm and off of the choke, the needle for the tachometer wouldmove side to side about 300rpm and would never stay "fixed" at let's say 1200rpm. Instead it wouldcontinually 'bounce' within 1100-1400rpmand I never knew what caused this.

Aftermy first carb sync today, Irode the bike and it felt smoother than before. However,the sync did not get rid of the deviation in the idle.

The bike rides wonderfully, starts wonderfully, and never stalls, it's just this pestering idle that bothers me.

So what's causing this "bounce"? Is this what all carbureted engines do? I am thinking it's an ignitionissue, but the spark plugs are new and gappeddesirably. Could it be the coil packs?