CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Throttle housing, starter switch/Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update*

Still waiting on the switch to come in. Got the housing (using the f3 cables) mounted up with the r6 throttle tube with no issues other than shaving a little bit of the collar off of the tube on the "pull" side. Having some clearance issues at the moment with the master cylinder while using the clip ons the way the throttle cables are routed, hopefully I'll be able to clear that up with my bar conversion. Pulling the start/Kill switch to find matching connectors tomorrow. Then begins the wiring.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by removebeforeflight
Update*

Still waiting on the switch to come in. Got the housing (using the f3 cables) mounted up with the r6 throttle tube with no issues other than shaving a little bit of the collar off of the tube on the "pull" side. Having some clearance issues at the moment with the master cylinder while using the clip ons the way the throttle cables are routed, hopefully I'll be able to clear that up with my bar conversion. Pulling the start/Kill switch to find matching connectors tomorrow. Then begins the wiring.
What master are you using?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
What master are you using?
The oem f3 one. It's so large and boxy there isn't much getting around it. I suppose it's time to try to hunt one of the detached type like the 954 and such have for a decent price.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:54 PM

The oem f3 one. It's so large and boxy there isn't much getting around it. I suppose it's time to try to hunt one of the detached type like the 954 and such have for a decent price.
There's nothing wrong with using the OEM one. That said, you can get newer and better M/Cs for "used OEM" prices on eBay depending on how much you want to spend.

Last edited by Conrice; 10-03-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:49 PM

There's nothing wrong with using the OEM one. That said, you can get newer and better M/Cs for "used OEM" prices on eBay depending on how much you want to spend.

Very true. It is perfectly functional, I just can't route the throttle cables around it like I need to. I think the 954 m/c or similar type will work out for me.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Very true. It is perfectly functional, I just can't route the throttle cables around it like I need to. I think the 954 m/c or similar type will work out for me.
Do you know what dia. the F3 m/c is? I know the 954 m/c is slightly smaller than the 929. It's an 11/16 piston whereas the 929 is a 19mm. The 954 gives more feel, the 929 gives more power. But they look identical and are the same physical size as far as the clip-one are concerned. But check those sizes against your F3 calipers to make sure you don't get a master that's too powerful and could possibly blow out the seals on your calipers.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Do you know what dia. the F3 m/c is? I know the 954 m/c is slightly smaller than the 929. It's an 11/16 piston whereas the 929 is a 19mm. The 954 gives more feel, the 929 gives more power. But they look identical and are the same physical size as far as the clip-one are concerned. But check those sizes against your F3 calipers to make sure you don't get a master that's too powerful and could possibly blow out the seals on your calipers.

Good point. Last time I had mentioned something about this with my mechanic he said 5/8" or maybe 12-13mm can't quite remember he did say that a little stronger wouldn't hurt as long as it was not over kill.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 PM

Update* kill switch is in the mail.
I see one potential issue right off the bat, there are 7 connecting pins on the rr plug, 8 on the f3. I have been having some real issues finding plugs/socket/connectors locally. Local RadioShack doesn't have anything but ipod, laptops, cell phones and remote controlled cars appranelty these days. And local autozone/advanced carries nothing but headlight sockets. I remember seeing walls of drawers filled with things like this as a kid (I'm only 23 so pardon my ignorance). I'm trying everything possible to not have to order anything online to prevent any more time wasted waiting on miniscule pieces.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:08 PM

That should be it using these two diagrams I found on Google. DOUBLE CHECK FOR YOURSELF BEFORE YOU DO IT!!!!

CBR F3 Wiring Harness -----------------> 1000RR Ignition/Kill Switch

Brakes

(To Brake Light) Green w/ Yellow ----> Green w/Yellow
(12V power) Brown ----> White w/Green

**Black w/Brown splice to Brown before your plug via quick splice

Kill Switch

(from fuse) Black -----------> Black
(to Ign. and Fuel cut off) Black w/ White -------> White w/Black

Starter Switch

Yellow w/ Red --------------------------------------> Yellow w/ Red (Starter Relay)
Black w/ Red ---------------------------------------> Black w/ Red (Headlight Relay)
Blue w/ White ----------------------------------------> Blue w/ White (Dimmer Switch)

Wow, I've got way too much going on right now, completely forgot about this. Thanks Conrice.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:39 AM

No problem, let me know how it goes. Do a write up with pictures!

Quick Reply: Throttle housing, starter switch/Kill switch