CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Think I blew my head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U sure the green residue is not coolant? Cause that normally is green.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel will turn that color after a while of sitting, just give them a good clean, if your replaceing the float gasket anyways you might as well take the extra time and give it a good cleaning, the hardest part is getting them off and your that far already

Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Yeah my coolant is blue. I'm definitely going to wash them and replace the gasket so it doesn't happen again but do I have to take the engine out completely to replace the head gasket?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:44 AM

It would certainly make things much easier, working in that confined space will probably take more time than just pulling it out and putting it back when your done

Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 AM

i personally prefer removing the motor other people prefer it in the bike so its swings and roundabouts

there could be more too this why would fuel have gone everywere then dried up like that? it takes A LOT of fuel to do that or a little bit of coolant mixed with oil

have you checked your coolant and your oil? i suggest draining both before removing the engine anyway as it makes it considerably lighter

there are pipes that send coolant into your carbs that are meant to heat your carbs up when its cold you can block these off if you never ride below 0 degrees c

its rather weird how its gone past the carb boots the head and basically everywhere so maybe its a pressure thing?

do the feel test wipe it off with your finger and tell us what it feels like as if that is fuel it should be crystallized by now

Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 AM

okay just had another look and that my friends is oil

maybe try a compression test by hand?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jackojeff
okay just had another look and that my friends is oil

maybe try a compression test by hand?
I just drained the oil and it looked to be just oil and no coolant. It defiantly lost some oil by the looks of it so I ordered a new head gasket and when it comes in, I'll drop the engine and replace it and get a better look on the insides.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:25 PM

Alright did a compression test on all cylinders and the first one (where the leak is coming from) and its half of what it should be. Somewhere around 65 psi and all others read around 125 psi. I dont think I'm going to take the engine out, just pull the heads with the engine in.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM

Alright so I took the heads off today and after inspecting the head gasket, it did show wear but it was still intact which now I dont know if that was the problem. The valves look charred but thats expected so I dont really know what else to look for. Im going to put the new valve cover on and see if that works but before I do that, Is there anything I should do while I have it off? The pistons turn over nicely and they show normal wear on top.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 AM

I don't know much about cbr engine valve tolerances and endurance, but I've lapped a few valves for car engines to increase pressure again..

could it possibly be an off valve that isn't seating right? or maybe a piston ring issue?

Quick Reply: Think I blew my head gasket?