CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

I just bought a '95 600 f3 which looks pretty good but I think that the fuel pump is not working because I cannot hear the pump when I turn the ignition key to the on position (without cranking the engine).

1) When I first started it, it cranked over and over for about 2 or 3 minutes before starting. It did not appear to be flooded, it would sort of rumble a bit here and there.

2) Once started, it sounded perfectly normal. I drove it around a little and it felt just fine. I gassed it a couple of times and noticed that it was strong yet underpowered compared to a '86 FZ 750 I have. The 750's fuel pump can be heard clicking a few times when I turn the ignition key to the on position by the way.

3) I took it out on the freeway for about 5 minutes and it seems to lack fuel in the mid to high RPM range.

Before taking the fairing off and doing a closer inspection I would like to know if the 600 f3 fuel pump is audible. If the fuel pump can be heard, this means that I am probably doing a gravity feed and my float bowls are not maintaining sufficient fuel in them.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't be heard iirc. But it definitely can be felt. Easily accessible to just put your hand on it when you turn the key.

But what you're describing sounds like an air problem I had with a faulty air solenoid to the carbs. Causes a flat spot.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM

i can hear mine and feel it click on when i turn on the ignition. i have a see through fuel filter, i turn the key on and it clicks, i can see fuel moving inside the filter also. in most cases these pumps dont go bad as often as the points switch that are more common to go out.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by cBrentb
i can hear mine and feel it click on when i turn on the ignition. i have a see through fuel filter, i turn the key on and it clicks, i can see fuel moving inside the filter also. in most cases these pumps dont go bad as often as the points switch that are more common to go out.
Your bike is not an F3. Your bike is fuel injected. On F3's the fuel pump does not run until the engine is started. If the engine is running you can put your hand on the fuel pump and feel it running. It feels like a clicking or pulsing. It doesn't run all the time, only enough to keep the float bowls full.

The symptoms your describing seem carburetor related. Many people make changes to the bikes like air filters and removing vacuum hoses and or bypassing things. More often than not, it ends up making the bike run more poorly. Troubleshooting that situation can be difficult because you don't know what's been modified and what hasn't.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM

the (my) 99 f4 is carb. cbr 600's 87-00 (f1, f2, f3, f4) have an identical, almost exact kind of fuel pump. also alot of other carbed cbr models have the identical kind of fuel pump too. the pump doesnt go bad that often its the fuel pump points switch that goes bad that needs replacement. ive herd point switches can go out at ten thousand miles or can last as much as forty to fifty thousand miles depending on riding style and habits.

ive replaced mine twice. i get my fuel pump points switches from wemoto for around forty- five bucks shipped.

when i flip the key on it pulses and i can feel it pulse with my hand, and hear it, also see fuel through filter when it pulses the fuel moves and i sees bubbles.