CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Stage 1 kit??? Er.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 kit??? Er.......

Hi all..

I have a 97 cbr 600 f3..... mods 520 chain -1 front +2 rear. slip on dnd exhaust. i DONT KNOW WAT im looking for so i asking all of u..... i know i WANT TO KEEP MY BIKE so buyn an NEW one is outtta da ?... anyway wat would a stage 1 kit do for me? 2? or 3? etc etc. and wat other mods would i have to do in order for this mod to work..... wat about an ignition advancer? i mean anything...... and all advice or questions for me i will consider... i DONT wanna SPEND Thousands but looking to get more UUUMPH......... higher gear wheelies... quickness..... who needs 140mph..... although it is nice at times.... hehehehehe

THANKS ALL

Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM

the search button is your best friend. this has been covered numerous times.

I have the exact same list of mods you have except with a UNI filter and my own put together stage 1.5 kit; it is fun

Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM

HEY THANKS for the reply bro.... i been searching... and searching... and searching...... so i asked in my own words.... any good links to make my search easier......
so you made your own kit???? how much funner is it.. wats the difference on bike????

Old 08-01-2009, 05:01 PM

If you want a reliable bike that pulls well through all RPMs without flat spots and don't want to spend a lot of money then stay away from carb or engine work. You could drop 1500 into race headers and pipe and get like 10hp if your lucky, and thats after spending tons of money and time on tuning your carbs correctly. If you want a solid bike, use a stock filter, stock carbs (no jetting) and stock pipe. Feel free to use a slip on, it wont effect much.

Gearing is the cheapest and easiest upgrade. Go to a +3 if you want more acceleration, but be prepared to have your cruising highway speed at a higher RPM.

As for the engine work again... trust me, you will spend the same amount of money for an older 600RR that naturally has more power as a finely tuned F2/F3.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
If you want a reliable bike that pulls well through all RPMs without flat spots and don't want to spend a lot of money then stay away from carb or engine work. You could drop 1500 into race headers and pipe and get like 10hp if your lucky, and thats after spending tons of money and time on tuning your carbs correctly. If you want a solid bike, use a stock filter, stock carbs (no jetting) and stock pipe. Feel free to use a slip on, it wont effect much.

Gearing is the cheapest and easiest upgrade. Go to a +3 if you want more acceleration, but be prepared to have your cruising highway speed at a higher RPM.

As for the engine work again... trust me, you will spend the same amount of money for an older 600RR that naturally has more power as a finely tuned F2/F3.
Most of that is true except for the jet kit.These bikes came here "lean as a snake".They need to be "fattened up" a bit and a jet kit is a good investment.Jet kit with a well-packed pipe will yield a nice power jump.Lean pipes rob you of power.Good carb work is essential to differentiate between a bike that runs good and a bike that is spectaular.On my racebike I re-did the carbs and moved the cams and got an additional 6 hp.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by kjohnson
Most of that is true except for the jet kit.These bikes came here "lean as a snake".They need to be "fattened up" a bit and a jet kit is a good investment.Jet kit with a well-packed pipe will yield a nice power jump.Lean pipes rob you of power.Good carb work is essential to differentiate between a bike that runs good and a bike that is spectaular.On my racebike I re-did the carbs and moved the cams and got an additional 6 hp.
From what I have learned, the perfect air/fuel mixture is just short of too lean. As you richen up, you lose power, but finding that perfect mixture is hard because unlike on the rich end where you have leeway and won't damage the bike, getting too lean WILL cause damage.

All I am saying is power:cost ratio... You can find used race upgraded RR's for 3500 bucks, or you can spend an *** load of money on upgrades for an old bike and have some shmuck attempt to tune it for more money. You could always tune it yourself but it takes a lot of time and patience, and in the end yous till have an old bike that STILL won't keep up with a new 600 RR.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Perfect air/fuel mixture is just a touch lean of perfect.Just a wee-bit lean.

I agree with most of what you've said.But jet kits/carb adjustments do help in a major way.And it makes the bike easier to ride.As for being faster than a new bike,depends on who's in the seat

When buying an old racebike,do your homework.Buying one from an established team is best.

Last edited by kjohnson; 08-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.