CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Spark Plug issue ...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006 | 05:20 PM
Default Spark Plug issue ...help

OK heres the issue... i bought my bike in the winter time and when i got it home it wouldnt even try to start. So my friends and i took apart all the simple stuff and checked that it had fuel and air and when i got to the spark, the plugs seemed dark (sootie), not to bad. So i reinstalled the plugs. After trying to start the bike and having it backfire on me i thought it was a spark plug issue so i swapped out the spark plugs. The bike ran great for about the first 20 starts, then it became harder and harder to start. So i took a look at the plugs and they were also full of (sook) so i cleaned then and reinstalled them. The bike ran great for about another 20 starts and now its crapping out again. I think this might be a incomplete combustion causing the soot what do u think ? Please help all comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-12-2006 | 05:25 PM
Default RE: Spark Plug issue ...help

Sounds like the bike is running way to rich. Check and make sure your choke isn't stuck on.

Old 04-12-2006 | 05:37 PM

+1 transamlt1man

Old 04-13-2006 | 01:19 AM

Nope choke is not stuck on i have to use the choke sometimes when its cold out to start the bike so thats definatly not the problem. Plus theres no colour change in the exaust so i cant see it being way to rich cause woulnt it be really really dark exaust ? Keep the help comming i need to get to the bottem of this

Old 04-16-2006 | 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: airforce86

OK heres the issue... i bought my bike in the winter time and when i got it home it wouldnt even try to start. So my friends and i took apart all the simple stuff and checked that it had fuel and air and when i got to the spark, the plugs seemed dark (sootie), not to bad. So i reinstalled the plugs. After trying to start the bike and having it backfire on me i thought it was a spark plug issue so i swapped out the spark plugs. The bike ran great for about the first 20 starts, then it became harder and harder to start. So i took a look at the plugs and they were also full of (sook) so i cleaned then and reinstalled them. The bike ran great for about another 20 starts and now its crapping out again. I think this might be a incomplete combustion causing the soot what do u think ? Please help all comments are greatly appreciated.

JMO,I believe it is one of two things.First of all these things will fuel foul a plug before you can say foul.I dont care what you do the bike will not crank without either new plugs or bead blasting the old ones.Do not crank it and just let it idle every now and then.You need to get it out and run the snot out of it at least once every ride.Trust me you will not hurt it.

Second and probably the cause,you need to replace the float needles.Could just be one or two needles but replace them all.Very easy fix and very common problem for one that has been sitting for a while.

Try the float needles.Very easy to replace would bet thats your problem.Good luck

Old 04-16-2006 | 10:29 PM

Like Melch said a good romping isn't necessarilly a bad thing all the time. Since your bike has been sitting taking it out on a ride easy at first to get things moving again but after an hour or so really open it up and hit some high rpm's. It can help in some situations.

Old 04-17-2006 | 02:03 AM

Thats why they have a rev limiter so you can't hurt the bike. I could take the carbs off and see what they look like.