CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Sounding like running on 3 cylinders...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounding like running on 3 cylinders...

1997 F3.
26k miles.

I've had the bike since July. Apparently the carbs were replaced, and was given a full tune up, and radiator fluid flushed etc.

I'm on HWY 521 in Charlotte, and the bike seems to me like I'm running out of gas, so I switch to reserve and it dies.

Dangerously, I pull into a turn around spot in the center median trying and trying to get it started and it won't start and ends up draining the battery. Keep in mind, I've checked the tank and I shouldn't even be on reserve yet but it's getting close.

A few minutes after letting it rest, it cranked right up and went to the gas station, and filled it back up -- and rode home about 15 miles away.

A few days later, the bike runs great for a little while, but the same thing happens. So ok, something is wrong.

I figured it was the battery losing power, or some kind of connection so I went and replaced the battery.

The bike will turn and turn and turn and eventually crank SOMETIMES. SOMETIMES it will not rev past 3-4k. Sometimes it won't even crank without the choke being on.

We tested the fuel pump, and it's pumping gas-- looked for kinks in the gas lines, and they are fine (just trying to knock out the simple stuff). Looked at fuses, etc.

Well, the last time we started it up it idled great for about 10-15 minutes so I am thinking ok, problem solved. I go up the block and it immediately dies. Come back, and it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders.

We've tested the cylinders and all of them are getting fire. Does this mean that the carbs need to be sync'd? Maybe fuel is not getting to one cylinder? I am not real familiar with carbs, but trying to explain in detail what I am experiencing.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do the plugs look? If they are something other than a new looking or light tan, you might want to put in a new set of plugs. I was working on an F3 that sounded like a lawn mower and when I touched (mechanic gloves on) two and four exhaust header, they were cold. I replaced the plugs and the bike ran great.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Honestly, We haven't even taken the plugs out, so it's quite possible it could be a fouled plug. Is it true with the F3's you have to remove the radiator to get them out?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM

you can go through the fairing door... its a bit of a tight fit if u have big hand but with patience, u can get it done

Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM

what size are the plugs? like 16mm or what

Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM

i dunno the exact size but i used the my spark plug removal tool... if u ever changed a car spark plug then its the same thing. and plusu need the rubber gromet in the tool to take out the plug anyway

Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 AM

I appreciate it, it's starting to be a relief from the sounds of it just being the plugs

Old 11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you by chance have the tool kit? It'll have the plug socket in there that works well for removing and installing the plugs.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 PM

a trick i learned on getting the spark plugs out is when you get them loose to where they are spinning free, you'll find that when you try to pull your wratchet + extension + socket up WITH the spark plug inside the socket, that the whole assembly is too long, and you'll hit the bottom of the airbox. so what i do is just get the spark plug spinning free, take your wratchet out, and use your spark plug wire + boot and push down on the plug with the boot and you should be able to pull the boot out with the plug attatched.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I realize that you checked the fuel pump and it's pumping fuel, but do yourself a favor and pull the black cap off the fuel pump and check the contacts. Everything you're describing points to the fuel pump working intermittently.

Quick Reply: Sounding like running on 3 cylinders...