CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

small lil problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small lil problem

I just bought all the rear fairings for my 97 CBR but the problem is the left rear fairing doesnt have the two plug in things on the back of it to hold it to the bike. What can i do to get the piece to stay to my bike?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by andymiester
I just bought all the rear fairings for my 97 CBR but the problem is the left rear fairing doesnt have the two plug in things on the back of it to hold it to the bike. What can i do to get the piece to stay to my bike?
give the fairing back to the seller or build up your own nipples on the fairing with fiberglass resin or other similar bodywork materials. There's a lot you can do with some resin, a dremel tool and some patience

Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM

i cant give it back cuz i got if ebay never gunna do that again and i hav no idea how to just build one with any kind of resign. dads idea is to put a screw threw it and hav an acorn nut on the outside but i think that would be ugly and crack my plastic

Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andymiester
i cant give it back cuz i got if ebay never gunna do that again and i hav no idea how to just build one with any kind of resign. dads idea is to put a screw threw it and hav an acorn nut on the outside but i think that would be ugly and crack my plastic
yeah don't put a screw through it...

I would say as a last resort try and glue some type of loop to it on the under side so that you could zip tie it to the frame or empty grommet hole...

Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a couple of pieces of dowel that are grommet-sized. Grind/sand the area where the old pegs were to get a flat base. Dab of bondo on bottom of dowel, squish it down in the correct position (take care to be square in all directions). give it 10 minutes to dry hard. Then build a gusset of bondo around the base of the dowel, another at the top (to 'swell' the end where it pokes through the grommet). Sand to taste, do a second coat if it needs it. Done! If you want to be really secure, use fiberglass-impregnated bondo. Done well, it will probably be a permenant fix, if not it's good practise for the next time. ;-)

Last edited by MadHattr059; 02-25-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Get a couple of pieces of dowel that are grommet-sized. Grind/sand the area where the old pegs were to get a flat base. Dab of bondo on bottom of dowel, squish it down in the correct position (take care to be square in all directions). give it 10 minutes to dry hard. Then build a gusset of bondo around the base of the dowel, another at the top (to 'swell' the end where it pokes through the grommet). Sand to taste, do a second coat if it needs it. Done! If you want to be really secure, use fiberglass-impregnated bondo. Done well, it will probably be a permenant fix, if not it's good practise for the next time. ;-)
Not a bad idea at all.

I like using a full resin/bondo build though just because have a big lump of pure resin seems stronger than trying to bond something (like a dowel) to plastic.

I made my own front fairing tab once. Got a metal clip that was U shaped. drilled a hole in it. put a nut of the proper thread for the fairing screws in there and surrounded it with resin. Then used carboard to form a mold of the tab, stuffed it with bondo and fine tuned it with a dremel.

Andy, if you want to use my idea, its not hard, just takes patience and some time.

-Go to advance auto and buy some bondo fiberglass resin. I think its the green tub.

-Get some sort of thick paper, maybe like a card from a deck of cards, thin cardboard paper stock or anything stiff enough to hold its form.

-Wrap it around the nipple/peg on the good fairing to get a general width and height. Glue it,t ape it, whatever, so that it holds form. If it was too long, cut it at the length of the good nipple

-Low grit sand and even gouge some lines or small holes (don't go through the fairing) onto your fairing. There might even be some of the old nipple left for the resin to bond to. That is even better, the more for the resin to grip, the better.

-after it dries, rip off the mold and get fancy with a dremel tool or even just sand paper. Sand it down and make it look like the original. Doesn't need to be perfect, just in the right spot so that it lines up with the grommet.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Go to your nearest harbor frieght and buy a plastic welding kit. Make your own nipples!