CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shinko tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this point, I'd say go with the Michelins. But not because I think lesser of the Shinkos. I have them on my bike and trust everything about it.

Both tires will be fine for you. But you have several experienced riders that put their bikes (and tires) through the paces. And they're saying go with the Michelins.

You're gonna want confidence in your tires and bike while getting started. If I were stuck making the decision, people like Chain and Chuckbear recommending the Michelins would swing my vote. They've been there and done that. I'd trust their experience not to lead me wrong and to give me one less thing to worry about. $30 for extra confidence is a bargain

Hope that helps a bit. And just remember no matter which you choose, let the tires heat up a bit before taking turns hard

Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered the Shinko 009s

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM

lol Or go with the Shinkos

Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Haha, should have said that before and I would have gotten the Michelins

Last edited by thatsarachik; 02-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
You're not just paying for the name brand with the Michelins, they're truly a better tire. Whether or not you need more out of a tire than the Shinkos can give you is another story, but in no way are you just paying extra for the name on the PP's. They are a much better tire and anyone who races will tell you that.

What kind of riding do you intend to do?

Unless you're riding really hard (especially if you're a new rider) you're probably never going to see the difference. All of this talk about higher quality is all based on the assumption that you ride these tires hard. The honest truth is that this just isn't the case for most people, as a great many mostly go in straight lines and don't lean their bikes hard.
Okay, I am leaning towards the PP's now. BUT you say "anyone who races", "riding really hard" -- IMO that is different for every person? What one calls hard could be foreplay to others.

I personally wouldnt say I ride really hard. Honestly, i mostly commute to work etc, my bike is my daily driver. Wherever i go, i ride my bike (for the most part). At the same time, im not a grandma when im on it. Yes im safe, but agressively so at times.

So am i gonna feel a difference or not? I am in Florida, and it DOES RAIN A LOT during the summer. I try not to ride much in the rain, but it does happen and has happened many a times already. Even when dry, im not a knee-dragger, but enjoy the little thrills of leaning into swooping curves.

Originally Posted by thatsarachik
Haha, should have said that before and I would have gotten the Michelins
hah! well it seems i should order the michelins now, and then both thatsarachik and i can report back about the differences? i need to decide today.

btw, thatsarachik, im guessing you ordered from motorcyclesuperstore. did you do the "preffered installation" thing they offer? i checked it out for my area and the prices seem a bit high to me?

what do you guys expect to pay to get some tires mounted and balanced?

Last edited by andyriot; 02-25-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM

I have a guy in his garage do em for 20 bucks, you need to find someone like that haha

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM

The Honda shop here is $119 if I bring in the bike, half that if I just bring in the wheels. I'm gonna be shelling out to take the bike even though I hate to have to pay them that much.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM

$119? Is that for both tires or just one? I'd call and ask.

Shops here wanted $50 - $60 per tire if I brought the tires and rims. Found a local mechanic that did it for $25 per tire

Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I would never encourage anyone to work beyond their comfort level. But tires are relatively easy. If you don't have a friend that does his/her own tire changes then you need to make one. Volunteer to help with a few tire changes to get the process down. The investment in equipment is under $150 and will last several dozen tire changes if not more. Can't tell you how many sets I've changed of mine and my friends. Just so ya know, the going price around here is a 6 pack of Coors ...

Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
I would never encourage anyone to work beyond their comfort level. But tires are relatively easy. If you don't have a friend that does his/her own tire changes then you need to make one. Volunteer to help with a few tire changes to get the process down. The investment in equipment is under $150 and will last several dozen tire changes if not more. Can't tell you how many sets I've changed of mine and my friends. Just so ya know, the going price around here is a 6 pack of Coors ...
damn now thats the kind of price im talking about. unfortunately i dont have that friend i dont have many friends that ride, so i must take it somewhere to be done. is upwards of $100 average?

Quick Reply: Shinko tires