CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shifting into First..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shifting into First..

Haha, this thread is great, some real wisdom here. Aftermarket tranny's for cavaliers, shift kits for manual transmissions, driving corollas like evos....

You mentioned people having slow upshifts, do you go clutchless?

Old 03-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Banned

I see, you like to be a smartass too, eh?

Again, I know nothing about Cavaliers, but being what, a 2.3L 4cyl. or a 2.8L or 3.0L 6cyl. ... surely there are aftermarket transmissions... are there not? And yeah - any manual transmission can have a short throw shift kit to reduce... well, stick travel. You know, that thing that slows down your overall times... ? Oh and, yes. I romped the hell out of that damn Corolla!

I tried the clutchless upshift thing when I found out I could, but unless I'm going fast, in a straight line, and banging through all the gears - I use my clutch.

Also - let it be known I wasn't pointing out anyone's slow upshifts ******** - someone asked, I responded with a few assumptions of my own (like the likelyhood that the rider asking probably missed second a fair amount given his description of what happens).

So, for the second time, I've done my best not to be an *** and actually offer some advice to some that are asking for it.

Yes, you can downshift before stopping (way before stopping), without hurting anything. Yes, surely there are aftermarket transmissions (then again, it is a Cavalier...). You can buy shift kits for both manual and automatic transmissions and yes, I'll drive a Corolla like I stole it.

Hey, if it's education you guys want, I'm here all week.

Douchebags.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:42 AM

Hahaha, I wasn't attacking you man, but when you say "I've done my best not to be an ***" and call me a "********" and a "doucebag", I wonder exactly wtf you are saying. Be an Internet badass, or a straight up guy offering solid information. These forums are for learning, not talking ****. You want to badmouth people, go to sportbikez.net or something.

"Shift Kits" are for automatics, they up the line pressure to make the shifts quicker and more solid (but i'm sure you know what they do). Short thows for a manual are another deal, haven't seen a short throw auto-shifter : ). And Cavaliers are incredibly slow , my Exploder is faster. If you've got the money to find/pay for an aftermarket tranny for a Cavi, you should buy a better car, as even a Z24 has limited mods, and it will still be slow after dumping boat loads of cash into it. If you want to go fast for cheap, buy a bike, get an economy car for when it rains. Instead of throwin thousands into my daily driver, I bought the bike b/c I love riding and I like reliability, and I know what "fast" is. And after having losing three friends by the time I turned 21 to speed/alcohol/stupidity, I understand driving fast on public roads, regardless of other drivers, is absolutley dumb. I'll save my speed for track days...

I've found clutchless upshifting is damn near seamless, it's not about speed, and from others I have been told it does not damage our trannys when done right. My question was about my CBR, I sometimes misshift into neutral from 1st when I don't use the clutch. I'm a novice rider, and my bike is in pieces right now b/c I'm rebuilding, but I'm asking if I need to adjust my shift lever/technique to go clutchless from first to second.

So please educate me... I'm hear to learn

Old 03-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Dude - I'm not hear to talk ****. I tried to avoid that, I went on the defensive, yes.

Anyway, the clutchless thing, yeah I agree. When you do it right, the only word to describe it is seamless. No hesitation. Just bam and go. But... to me, the only time I would use it is in a drag scenario.

The parkways I ride, I don't ever need to get out of second, I stay in the powerband at about 45-50MPH. So in that respect, there's no real reason for me to bang clutchless.

My experience with clutchless upshifts... it's a commitment-style of riding. You have to decide to do it, and don't hesitate. You can't do it and be tootling around either. You gotta be ridin' dat shiite. If you don't commit and go ***** out, it's gonna tear up your clutch and/or tranny. That being said, I don't need to really use it. My best guess is that you're not following through with your shifting itself. Not having seen you ride - I can pretty much convince myself (because most novice riders have to break themselves of this habit) that's what it is. Practice jerking the sumbitch up in second. Try to figure out if it's you or the bike. If it doesn't do it when you're being completely deliberate about it - then it' you. Refine your technique and add some finesse and take away some brute - might work for ya.

Any-ghey, I thought you were provoking so I came at you. If that's not the case, no harm no foul. I just can't stand bitches running their punk mouths on the internet so when I see one I do my best to avoid them, but I felt like that avoidance was useless. So I tell ya where I'm gonna be and we can settle it in person, on the bikes or off...

No hard feelings - and as far as the original question goes...

BLIP THAT SHIITE!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM

[8D] I never got into cars nearly as much as I got into bikes but I was under the impression tuner cars looked a lil more along the lines of my boy's ITR...[8D]

Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM

As long as you're revmatching, I can't seem to think of a single problem that downshifting into first can cause (unless you've got some restricting synchros[:'(])

Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: davefolds3

[8D] I never got into cars nearly as much as I got into bikes but I was under the impression tuner cars looked a lil more along the lines of my boy's ITR...[8D]

I thought so too... I think you're right

Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 AM

This thread is really agonizing to read. n00bs yelling at n00bs. The clutch/transmission in a bike is designed completely different than a car. If you are comparing how to ride a bike to driving a car, just log off at STFU. Bikes are designed to be downshifted into 1st gear. If you've EVER been to a track you'd know turns are often referred to as "1st gear turns, 2nd gear turns, etc." The CBR 600s are known to give you a false neutral from 1st to 2nd and sometimes other gears. There is a kit that fixes this, but it's hard to find because the bikes are several generations old now. Aside from starting in 1st, you can ride a bike completely without the clutch and not destroy it.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Here we go again...

Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DDCavi

So your telling me you force your car into 1st while its still moving? Has nothing to do with riding...
I downshift into 1st ALL DAY LONG. It's part of slowing down, has everything to do with riding.

Quick Reply: Shifting into First..