CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shifting into First..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shifting into First..

So your telling me you force your car into 1st while its still moving? Has nothing to do with riding...

Old 03-14-2007, 03:11 PM

If the intended gear is capable of going whatever speed you're going, then there should be no reason why you cant' downshift into it assuming you match the revs. It's not hard to do a high rpm downshift into first, just need to know what you're doing. The highest i've done it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8k.

And cars are no different, i've got a video of two guys racing and downshifting into first no problem. And if you watch motogp, they're alway going down to first gear.

Also there are time where i'll lug both my car and bike if i don't go down to 1st gear. Like when i'm going under 10mph.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 PM

i never have any problems downshifting around 6-8k in 2nd to go into 1st. i hate coasting, clutching, nuetral stops. i feel safer/comfortable in gear on deceleration at all times. i know people who stop by holding the clutch and shifting from 4th to 1st when they come to a complete stop i think its stupid.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Nelson F3

i never have any problems downshifting around 6-8k in 2nd to go into 1st. i hate coasting, clutching, nuetral stops. i feel safer/comfortable in gear on deceleration at all times. i know people who stop by holding the clutch and shifting from 4th to 1st when they come to a complete stop i think its stupid.
That is stupid.

Let's just clarify what we're saying. First, coasting a bike is in no way to be confused with riding a bike. If you coast to a stop - you suck... full stop

It's dangerous to not be in control of these bikes, I don't know a thing about cruisers, but I would imagine they're the same. Bikes are made to be in motion, the geometry of the bike is such that it is necessary to be in gear and in control of the throttle to be in control of the bike. What are you gonna do if something happens? Shift into first? Hell no - you should already be there. You should always be in gear or you're not in full control of the bike.

Anytime you downshift, there is a point of a second or less where the rear wheel has no torque, it's spinning freely. If you just hammer down a gear and pop the clutch,the rear wheel is gonnaslide out on you, which is why you blip the throttle or slowly release the clutch. I prefer to blip because it's keeps me in the power band.

And yeah - cars are completely the same. I'm not knocking you dude - but I'm gonna take a guess that either you've never had a stick muscle/tuner car, or you didn't know how to drive them when you did. Not trying to be mean - I'm just saying. Hell, I used to drive my girlfriends 1999 Corolla like it was a race car - and for a little four-banger, I could make it move and beat kid Mustang drivers around the curves.

Try blipping, you'll like it.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:31 AM

While on the topic.
Are these bikes known to jump into neutral when you shift from 1st to 2nd.Evry now and then my bike does that. Gets a bit embarrassing if you try to race someone from a traffic light
I had this problem with my previous old bike as well. Could it be a wrong driving habit.
I don't think it's because I'm shifting to gently cause I've tried to shift hard and then it still sometime happen.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Ive owned 5 spd tuner car. It would not allow the car to be put into first until STOPPED. Also im not talking about pulling in the clutch and stopping then going down 4 gears.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned

I have no idea about a Cavalier - but if it was a real tuner, then you've got an aftermarket transmission, clutch and shift kit... right?

I guarantee I could get that car into first before stopping. I don't know what else to tell you, man. If I can romp a 99 Corolla 5-speed like it was an Evo - I fail to believe that a tuned up Cavalier wouldn't do the same.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Gerhard - I have heard of it happening, once or twiceit's actually happened on my bike. I chalk it up to rider error not getting a solid shift into second. I know that was the case with my bike since the clutch, transmission and shift linkage is all still fine.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

I have no idea about a Cavalier - but if it was a real tuner, then you've got an aftermarket transmission, clutch and shift kit... right?

I guarantee I could get that car into first before stopping. I don't know what else to tell you, man. If I can romp a 99 Corolla 5-speed like it was an Evo - I fail to believe that a tuned up Cavalier wouldn't do the same.

The syncros will not let the car into first until stopped or very close...Id bet you the car that you couldnt if I still had it. BTW if your such an amazing driver why arent you running tracks? Oh thats right, just another forum know-it-all.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

Come on man - I've done my best to not be an ***. No one ever said I was such a great driver.

Again, I reiterate - I have no idea about a Cavalier (), but if that's the case (synchros), then there you have it. Can you not disable it? Certainly someone who had such a sweet ride with all the aftermarket goodies, you'd be aware of an override or a method of disabling... right? Ir is that just a $2000 paint job with a carbon fiber hood and some hood pins. I mean, come on man - we're not talking about onboard electronics preventing a car from downshifting...

We're talking about the ability to do so safely within the limits of your bike/cars mechanics. In that respect, yeah - I'd bang it down in first everytime. Disable that **** and you'd be fine. Maybe I could do it for you, haha.

Oh yeah - and I'm sure I could hand you your *** in a rear wheel drive V-8 if it's under 3,500lbs. If we're talking bikes, yeah - I'm getting there. I'll be at Heartland Park Topeka Raceway at least 2 times this summer - open up your bike and shut your mouth - we'll let the track times decide. I'm done.

Any vehicle can be downshifted, safely, within the vehicles mechanical limits, into first waaaayyyy before stopping. I know my F3 can be downshifted into first by blipping at about 6-7K RPM's.

Period - full stop.

Quick Reply: Shifting into First..