CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

She was running good, now she's mad!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She was running good, now she's mad!

Well I've searched around the site and can't seem to find a similar situation. I got home from work and since it was so nice decided to change the spark plugs in her. Well i started her up and she sounded great. I let her idle for a few minutes and took a rip down the street, ran better than I've ever felt. Took it back up the driveway, pulled it into its spot and while idling she died. Ran out of gas, fuel pump got loud a/f. So I went and got gas put about a gallon and a half in and started her up. Idled fine again, took her for another spin and as soon as i got on the throttle she bogged right down and died. Now she won't rev past about 3-4k she idles fine but as soon as i hit that throttle it boggs right down. Same thing while in gear i stalled her like ten times trying to go up my driveway. (like if you start the bike cold and hit the throttle while the choke is on). If you can tell from the video i don't believe its mis firing. i pulled the plug boots off one by one to see if there was a cylinder misfiring and it does not seem as though thats the problem. WTF is going on, lol. Any help is appreciated. Ive included a video of the problem. cuzz it just makes life that much easier. View My Video

Last edited by Medic89; 04-21-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Forgot the video
Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 PM

Just a quick update. I let it cool down went out started it and same problem still. I checked both voltage and ohm readings on the r/r and battery and everything is within specs. What i do notice is while I'm not blowing any smoke out the exhaust it does smell like straight gas. Maybe I'm running too rich? How would changing the spark plugs affect it like that/is that possible? Fuel pump is working i can feel it push every so often as it should. so I'm leaning towards something happening/changing when i replaced the sparks.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Hey there. Strange that I had what seems like a similar problem just last weekend! I just pulled it out of storage last weekend and was out on a ride with my brother...

Everything seemed fine for say 45-60 minutes of our ride. We were merely cruising as it was my first ride out this Spring (I live in Northern Ontario, Canada). As we cruised along, the bike started to sputter and lose power much like I was out of fuel. Finally it stalled and I pulled over. Cranking the starter, it would fire up for a few seconds then shut down. After trying to get it running a few times, I gave up and let her rest for like 15 minutes. Still no go. I then fired it up with the choke and it idled. So we pulled away again and might have rode about a 1/4 mile and it started to chug again. Hauled it home by trailer.

Now... There were 2 things that stuck out in my mind. Although I put fuel stabilizer in the tank (which was full), perhaps the fuel has gone bad as this winter had been painfully longer that most. Also, I believe Stabil will keep the fuel from varnishing and gumming up, but will it retain the fuels burning characteristics? I would say I doubt it. Normally I would have drained the tank pre-ride (broke my own rule here). So I drained the tank and added fresh fuel. Next, I pulled the spark plugs out. They were fouled. My Dad noticed that I had switched to Iridium Plugs (NGK's)! I never ran EIX plugs before, but at the end of last season, I switched (there was a sale). Yet again, I broke my own rule. I always run the factory recommended CR9 NGK's up until that stupid sale! So I went back to factory plugs and she fires up and idles as a Honda should.

Now, I haven't been out on the bike since, as winter has come back to **** me off for a bit longer. So, I haven't put it to the test yet. What I can assume is, seeing as I NEVER have an issue with this machine, one or a combination of the two "rule breaks" had cause d this problem.

As soon as I have the opportunity to take a significant ride, I will let you know. What I do know for sure, is that this bike should use the factory plugs unless ignition modifications, engine and tuning requires something different. And... There is NO cure in a bottle! Lol! I hate breaking my own rules.

Good luck and keep us posted. I will update you too, once I get out for a decent ride.

Mike

Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Alright guys so figured I'd tear it apart a little bit( and it's dark as he'll so I'm using a flashlight) but I think I found the problem. I drained one of the float bowls and I'm pretty sure there was water settled at the bottom of the cup I drained it into. There deff was another liquid heavier than the gas that was at the bottom of the bottle. So I'm assuming my local gas station has bad gas. I'm going to drain the bowls and tank tonight and put some fresh gas from ANOTHER STORE and see if that resolves the issue. Something's in there that shouldn't be though. That's for sure!