CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

was screwed really need help first bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default was screwed really need help first bike

I just got my first bike ever that i've been saving for. A all custom blue 1996 600F3 i bought it for 2500.00 with 40,000 mi i was told that is nothing for a honda. the bike looked as in Very good condition , i drove it home that day with no problems. the next day i let it warm up for about 10min , came outside and it was knocking (sound like rod). so i dropped it off and bike shop to do check up. They told me that i have a spun bearing and its ganna cost me 2500.00!! THis sucks, so i just joined this forum hoping that hopefully someone know where to get cheap parts like crankshaft,bearings the whole bottom i guess. And i just dont know if your suppose to build the bottom or the top as well, if you do the bottom wont the top go bad because off pressure since bottom new top old??Also reguardless being 2500 i dont have that i only put 100mi and it broke leaving me broke and a broking bike, so today itook out the engine and i dont know now if i should spend the money to fix it, because i dont know if that year and model is worht 5000 altogether in work or if i should take the lost and part it if even possiable cuz i dont know if theres a market out there for it. I REALLY need some help and any kind of knowledge if any one could let me know my best options??OH yeah and the guy keith that i bought it from in SC i told him the next day he said he didnt know why it broke he said i did it in a 100mi bearing dont go that fast i found this bike on craigslist everyone should be careful with that. I think he just put super thick oil so i wouldnt here it right away.????

Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: was screwed really need help first bike

ORIGINAL: shoemjay

I just got my first bike ever that i've been saving for. A all custom blue 1996 600F3 i bought it for 2500.00 with 40,000 mi i was told that is nothing for a honda. the bike looked as in Very good condition , i drove it home that day with no problems. the next day i let it warm up for about 10min , came outside and it was knocking (sound like rod). so i dropped it off and bike shop to do check up. They told me that i have a spun bearing and its ganna cost me 2500.00!! THis sucks, so i just joined this forum hoping that hopefully someone know where to get cheap parts like crankshaft,bearings the whole bottom i guess. And i just dont know if your suppose to build the bottom or the top as well, if you do the bottom wont the top go bad because off pressure since bottom new top old??Also reguardless being 2500 i dont have that i only put 100mi and it broke leaving me broke and a broking bike, so today itook out the engine and i dont know now if i should spend the money to fix it, because i dont know if that year and model is worht 5000 altogether in work or if i should take the lost and part it if even possiable cuz i dont know if theres a market out there for it. I REALLY need some help and any kind of knowledge if any one could let me know my best options??OH yeah and the guy keith that i bought it from in SC i told him the next day he said he didnt know why it broke he said i did it in a 100mi bearing dont go that fast i found this bike on craigslist everyone should be careful with that. I think he just put super thick oil so i wouldnt here it right away.????
there was a f4i engine for $500 on ebay earlier tonight.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks, no it really SUCKS. This guy would have known something was happening. A pox on him.
Yeah it would be cheaper to find a short motor for it, keep your eyes out at the wreckers & so on, don't add insult to injury & get burned by the work shop.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 AM

Not sure if this will fit in a F3 or not but http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-HO...spagenameZWDVW
its a good price.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:37 AM

Take the bike to another shop to get a second opinion, the knock could be something else. You're new to bikes, and probably young, some people will try to take advantage of you and mechanics are bad for that!

Cam chain tensioner and clutch discs will rumble and tick - and these are cheap fixes, in my experience you should never just throw money out there and get it "fixed".

Have a few people check it out so you're sure it comes back as the same problem, and then go from there. There are lots of parts for your bike available on Ebay and bike wreckers, so find out what the problem is and see if you can track down some parts yourself.

People on this board are very willing to help, and most of us know what we're doing when it comes to working with the wrench.

PM me if you take my advice and figure out what the problem is, I can help you find parts but unfortunately (for you, fortunate for me :P)I dont live in the US so I cant help you fix it aside from advice on the board!

Good luck mate, dont be ina rush to lose your money!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Oh, by the way, if it IS in fact a bearing find out what type of bearing and you can replace it for about $2-$3 from a store on ebay that stocks thousands of different sizes of brand new bearings.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened. It's a tough call as to whether or not the seller knew about the problem. 2nd opinions are definitely worth getting. Also, doing the work yourself can save thousands in this particular situation. If it turns out to be a spun bearing and you don't want to fix yourself, then I'd look at a motor swap. Here is an F3 motor,item number: 190161290679 on bay. Certainly a less expensive option to paying a mechanic to do the work. Do you have friends that are able to help you with it ? You could also go to a local bike night. Many of the people I meet there are very knowledgeable, and may be able to help. Good luck with your bike.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Default Thanks a lot

i appreciate the help, i dont think the F4i is the same it looks different some of the major plugs dont look like ttheyll match but i plan to get another opinion , i never thought a clutch would make a noise like that i hope it is the clutch lot cheaper then rebuild, but is the bike worth rebuilding if it is the bearing and does the top end have to be done as well just curious ?? Thanks for the motor look ups cycle pro looks good im just ganna try to get anotheropinion.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Thanks a lot

The top end should not have to be done if you're just replacing a bearing... I dont think so anyway, I could be wrong but it doesn't make sense.

I haven't heard the noise, but the noises I described are popular on these bikes. Maybe you're running some **** gas with low octane and you're getting engine knock (pre-detonation)

Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Thanks a lot

just keep checkin ebay for a stock f3 engine...if you want, go to partszparts.com and shoot them an e-mail that you need an engine for your bike.

good luck man..id sue his ***, its the american way

Quick Reply: was screwed really need help first bike