CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

scratching my head to the bone

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIXED!!! The fuel pump was one of the first things I looked at. It was not working originally. There is a sensor that cuts the fuel pump if you lay the bike down. That sensor was bad, so I bypassed it and the fuel pump began working again, but it didn't help the root problem. This evening, after work, I unplugged that valve and she ran like a champ!!! As stated above, though, the problem has been intermittent occurring more on warm days than cooler ones. When I unplugged it, it wasn't -real- warm, so we will try it on a 75+ degree day and that should be the test of tests. What exactly does this valve do? I gathered that it acts like an EGR valve by recirculating gases? The difference being that it recirculates crank case gasses instead of exhaust. Is this correct? If so, what would be the point of recirculating gasses from the crank case? There shouldn't be any in there should there? I am assuming that the valve was not closing at 12 MPH like it should and was choking out the carbs with these gasses. Is this correct?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 PM

On a side note, I am pretty familiar with EGR valves/systems. My wife drives a Powerstroke turbo-diesel Ford F350. The EGR valve on that went out causing a similar issue. It ran fine at idle and low speeds, but when pulling hills, especially with a trailer, it would start spitting and sputtering and chugging like a steam engine. It turned out that her truck was manufactured within the first 6 months of the 6.0 Powerstroke manufacturing and in this window, the EGR system was not tied into the ECU, so I wsa able to simply unplug the EGR valve without throwing the "Check Engine" light and it ran like a champ again. I know that a 6 litre turbo-diesel is apples and orenges compared to a 0.6 litre 4-cylender motorcycle, but it should be the same basic concept.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by subduedskyline
I am assuming that the valve was not closing at 12 MPH like it should and was choking out the carbs with these gasses. Is this correct?

basically. without the air solenoid switching over, the mix ends up going more and more rich until it kills it. there is just no air going through....as far as whether or not it will work in 75+ degrees...i highly doubt it will still be intermittent. possibly in lower temp days the valve was working and in higher temp the humidity made the valve stick. but the valve is doing nothing but staying open to the ram air side of the intake now..i think everything should be fine...and if not come back and tell us about it...

Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Will do. Thank you for the help!