Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Scratching my head, why why why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratching my head, why why why?

1) my girlfriend who's been riding all her adult life, (now she rides kawi 600) told me while back that she rides with tank top and shorts. And I forgot about what she said. And today she posted on FB that how she doesn't enjoy riding in the rain as much as she used to before but at least this morning, she had helmet, jacket and gloves on. I told her she should always wear them. And she replied, her helmet is taken by passenger most time. I told her she needs to get another helmet for passenger to use or if they don't have it, she should not take them on her bike, after all she has her son to take care. she got offended by my comment.

2) some guys in the riding group and other group guys went for ride tonight but got pulled over by a cop. I am not sure what happened. but the cop took one guy's key away and threw it in the grass side of the road. This guy is not aggressive or anything. like that. He will be the last person to argue with cop. so why did the cop do that?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

She finds it offensive because she knows youre right. some people cant admit to being an idiot and wrong, and just change their behavior.

If your friend truly did nothing to instigate that reaction from the cop, he should file a complaint with his supervisor. Throwing a key into the tall grass is probably not standard procedure.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
She finds it offensive because she knows youre right. some people cant admit to being an idiot and wrong, and just change their behavior.
i don't know about that. its a touchy subject either way. it's not just with helmets or gear. it's with riding.

don't you get a little offended when someone in your family or some random person calls your bike a death trap and tells you that you're dumb for riding?

is that because THEY're right and you can't admit it, so you change your attitude?

(and don't say it doesn't happen, because the general consensus of the USA thinks your crazy for riding a sportbike on the street - are they right?)

its the same thing when you see a guy that pushes it too hard on the streets - either splitting traffic or riding too fast. should you say something? is it your place? if it is, when did it officially become your place? do you want to alienate a good friend over a personal choice they make?

the best thing yum is to realize that it is a personal choice. you, demon, and i may all think it's a poor decision (especially when there is a child involved), but it is a personal choice.

some may think that its a poor choice to even ride when you have a child - once again - these are all personal choices, but its not that she's dumb for doing it and can't admit it. she just values the risk/reward differently than you

i hate when people try to "parent" me... so i don't do it to them. there's a mortician that's friends with my dad that is convinced i'm dumb for ever throwing a leg over a motorcycle. i'm not dumb, it's my choice and i'm VERY passionate about bikes. they'll never not be in my life.

and i do get offended when people like the mortician throw their 2cents in. it's not that i can't admit that they're right either

Last edited by Conrice; 02-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Conrice
i hate when people try to "parent" me... so i don't do it to them.
Yeah I do hate when people do that to me too, so I won't do it from now on. As you said, it is my personal choice to ride bike the way I do, and it is other people's personal choice how they ride. I hate to see someone I love get hurt unnecessary. But I cannot make them do what they don't wanna do.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

conrice, i agree with you.

everyone does things that someone else cant agree with. thats what makes us people. people do remind me all the time how dangerous bikes are, but it doesnt offend me. theyre right, but i choose to be a idiot and keep riding, its my passion. people say smoking is bad for you too and theyre right, i know that. i did change my behavior. not for them, but because i know its bad. my doc said i need to eat more vegies, didnt offend me because he is right. i choose to eat more for me. everyone has a right to their opinions and i have the right to selectively be an idiot. no need to be all offended.

yumi expressed he opinion, and her friend apparently took it all wrong. she has to know how a small adjustment could save her life. youre right, its a very touchy subject.

when is it over the line for other people to step in and "parent" you? at some point, your behavior may be dangerous and you dont even know it. dont get me wrong, i'm gonna ride. but if someone expresses some common sense if i cross a line, i'm going to a least consider what theyre saying.

after all, if someone would have stepped in, Whitney and Michael would still be with us

Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 AM

Why don't you suggest your friend take a basic msf course? As a former instructor for the Canada safety council, I know that all the risks are thoughly explained and risk management skills are developed. Hazard awareness and avoidance are covered. Braking, emergency braking, collision avoidance, and many other skills are taught.
Perhaps their attitude towards gear can be altered with knowledge.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I have a guy who took the course and still not using chin strap on helmet. My ex bf and his friend who also took the course used to ride with shorts and no helmet too. Not everybody take things seriously like us

Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM

you HAVE to take the msf in florida.... and i hardly see any new jack sportbike riders that wear full gear.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Taking the course and actually applying the lessons learned are two different things. I guess these people accept the risk of riding with less than ATGATT.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by vfrman
Taking the course and actually applying the lessons learned are two different things. I guess these people accept the risk of riding with less than ATGATT.
that's right. its all about how you view the risk vs reward. its a personal choice that people have to make. and when they go down, they are the ones that have to live with it.

Quick Reply: Scratching my head, why why why?