CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Roommate reving to warm bike?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roommate reving to warm bike?!?!?!?

Ok so here is the deal. I ride an f4i. The computer does all the work in starting it. I have a roommate with an F3. Every morning he gets and when he leaves he rev's his bike to start it. I think he chokes it and cranks on the throttle to get it going and then will rev it up to about 5k rpms until it warms up alittle. This is annoying and wakes up everyone in the house and i think it is unnecessary. I can tolerate a choked bike running at 3000rpm but not the constant changing.

So I come to you other F3 riders to tell me how you start your bike on a cold morning, so I can give him proof that you don't need to rev it to get it to warm up. I love the sound of nice exhaust, but not if i don't have to be awake yet.

P.s. I have a different roommate with a carburated bike and he never wakes me up.

Thanks in advance for your help. [sm=sleeping.gif]

Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Default RE: Roommate reving to warm bike?!?!?!?

I choke mine just enough to get it to stay steady at about 1,500 RPM -- nice idle speed -- for about 5 minutes or so (it's cold here in VA now). I definitely don't rev it, and wouldn't want to do that to my bike before it's more fully warmed up. Plus, I don't want to **** people off. Part of the responsibility of riding is riding with respect. I live around a bunch of older folks, and want to make sure I respect their space and peace. Maybe it's a matter of growing up -- a lot of which is related to one's awareness about how their actions affect others. Bottom line -- tell the roomie to ease up on the warm-up, for people's sake and his bike's.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:38 AM

+1, I own an F-2 same thing, warm up 5 min or so then I'll rev, but NOT till it's WARM

Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 AM

There is a way you can solve your issue and his !! Explain to him the similarity of cold oil and molassess or caramel They dont flow real good !! tell him hes gonna burn it up that may help!!! but some just don't give a flip..... cbennett has the approach i used on my old 1000f choke enough to keep engine running for 5 minutes

Old 12-05-2006, 12:01 PM

My F3 never took five minutes to warm up even when its super cold outside. All he should have to do is start it with the choke on and leave it. After two to three minutes turn the choke down and ride.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:35 PM

Alright guys thanks for your help. We talked to him and he freaked out and told my other roomie to deal with it or get ear plugs. Hopefully for our sake, our neighbors sake, and his bike's he will stop. I'll tell him about the viscosity of oil at colder temps too. Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM

I think your roommate just likes to rev his bike.

I start mine no throttle, and leave the choke on 4-5 minutes til i leave. No need for throttle, and he just looks like an *** to boot. I leave as silent as I can. At 7:00am in an apartment parking lot there are to many people to consider, and I wouldn't want to be waken up.

Ryan

Old 12-06-2006, 06:35 PM

You have more to worry about piston scoring than anything else. However, they warm up fast for obvious reasons.

Personally I prefer to maintain the choke low so it doesn't rev wildly until the oil light is off....then I'll let it up higher...2000 maybe. The longer its sat since the last time it ran will impact this. But good oils leave a surprisingly strong film on parts that will give start up protection. I let it do this until I get my gear on.

Your buddy is not warming it up any faster by bouncing the throttle up....its pumping air in the rev down period.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jbreit

You have more to worry about piston scoring than anything else.
That, and the fact that your roommate is deliberately being an inconsiderate jerk. I use the choke and no throttle to start it up, and by the time I have my helmet strapped and my gloves on, I push the choke part way in to keep revs below 2,000 rpm. Give it another minute or so, then put it in gear and roll away very slowly, so you take your noise somewhere else.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 PM

i love my bike and so cal. When i start it i do not choke it or give it any gas. the carbs never catch and it idles at about 800. i strap on the helmet, idle away in 1st and when i hit the street, give it some gas to get the bike up to idle. people never even know i leave. When i come in i kill the engine and coast.

Quick Reply: Roommate reving to warm bike?!?!?!?