CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

repairing a small crack in my tail section...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question repairing a small crack in my tail section...

Is it possible? How much am I looking at having to spend?

I plan to have the crack fixed and then painting the whole tail section from yellow to silver.

Where do I get the crack repaired? Where do I get the primer and paint? How much paint will this require? How much primer?

Sorry for all the question, but I'm totally new to the world of motorcycles.

Any help on these issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

By the way, I just purchased a 1996 f3 with a conversion to a 97 tail. The bike is yellow with custom silver decals. The bike has 22k on it and I gave $2200 for it. Fairly new tires. Fresh oil change. Brand new complete electrical system. Brand new gold chain.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 AM

If you are not experienced at doing paint and bodywork take it to a local autobody shop. You will spend a couple hundred but it will come out right. If you do it yourself and its your first shot at bodywork it wont look great. Its all time and practice.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man
If you are not experienced at doing paint and bodywork take it to a local autobody shop. You will spend a couple hundred but it will come out right. If you do it yourself and its your first shot at bodywork it wont look great. Its all time and practice.

Well, that's the thing. I have no idea of how to do the body work but I have a friend who is awesome at paint work and he will paint it for free if I just buy the materials.

How much am I looking at for just the repair work?

What about the cost of the paint and primer?

This project is going to make this bike look 1,000 times better.

Also, I understand finding an upper center tail section is pretty hard? Correct? The one I have now is zip tied to the bike. I don't really mind it but I was wondering where is the best place to land one of these? If I have to I will just zip tie it with clear ties after I'm done painting it and roll with that.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM

I think i have a whole tail section off a 98 i am not using. Not sure the condition it is in but I could check for you.

What you will want to do is fiberglass the inside of the tail where the crack, then use a dremel or small grinder to create a small channel in/on the crack for the filler to sit in. Use Bondo or your filler of choice to fill the channel, sand smooth, let dry and spread filler again to fill any small holes or imperfections, repeat till completely smooth. sand with 120 grit or so for the ruff work, 220 then 400 before you prime, sand the primer with 800g wet then clean paint and clear, i sand the clear with 2000grit and buff.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man
I think i have a whole tail section off a 98 i am not using. Not sure the condition it is in but I could check for you.

What you will want to do is fiberglass the inside of the tail where the crack, then use a dremel or small grinder to create a small channel in/on the crack for the filler to sit in. Use Bondo or your filler of choice to fill the channel, sand smooth, let dry and spread filler again to fill any small holes or imperfections, repeat till completely smooth. sand with 120 grit or so for the ruff work, 220 then 400 before you prime, sand the primer with 800g wet then clean paint and clear, i sand the clear with 2000grit and buff.

Awesome news!!

Check on that for me. How much do you want for it?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a cracked tail section. I fiber glassed the underside for support then filled the crack in with filler. I rough sanded it then took it to a shop to let them paint it.

Might save you some $$ doing part of it yourself.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with it.
The title of your post just made me fall outta my chair.
"Repairing a small crack in my tail section..." I think we all have that problem

Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Take a picture of the crack and post it to us... you might be able to fix it with plastic bondo glue or you might have to fiberglass... either way it's doable. I've done it, I've worked with worse, I've worked with entire chunks missing and you'd never know it after it's painted

Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 AM

My shed is snowed in. I can try to take a look this weekend.