CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

regular, mid-grade, or premium?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regular, mid-grade, or premium?

I always thought that regular was fine for a 600cc bike but the guy I bought myf3 from said he would only use premium. Who's right who's wrong? What fuel grade do you guys run with>?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Default RE: regular, mid-grade, or premium?

87...that's that the manual says and that's what I'm going to use. WHy spend more when the bike doesn't need it.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 PM

i use all premium cuz my buddy bitched at me last season about it since it is a high performance/compression engine and all.....there is a difference in performance running the higher octane through the engine....what's the difference in a few cents anyways...It may cost me 2 to 3 bucks more to fill up on premium when I fill up but I figure what the hell it can't hurt and maybe it even helps a little. so experiment a little try the 87 and see how the bike runs to you then try the premium stuff..if no difference keep running the 87

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Any kind is fine....i use 87and always have and never had any problems at all with it. There is really no point in using the more expensive kind with the way gas is priced these days.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:38 AM

I believe that 87 is fine but I normally run Shell premium, I'm sure synthetic isn't nessicary but I use it anyways.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:57 PM

thanks for all the input. Yeah Its filled with regular right now so when I burn through that I'll splurge on some premium and see If i really get a big engine performance difference. If nothing really happens I'll stick with my wallet.
THanks again

Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Well, I got out the owners manual (yes we actually have one)to see if it mentions Octane levels. It specifically mentions that the bike was designed to be able to run on 86 Pump Octane gas. I use 87 all the time. There is an interesting article that was done by 20/20 about different myths including Premium Gas. It's a good read, but no matter what you tell people, they still believe what they want to.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 AM

When I don't use 93, it starts knocking. So, I use 93. I also tend to stick with Chevron, but I don't think that really matters. (I wouldn't use entec gasoline unless it was free.)

Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 PM

I just ran through two tank full of 89, and the bike ran ok i didn't hear any knocking. But i might be buggen but i really dont think it pulls as hard when i got 93 in, not horse power pull but like in 6th gear when i gave it gas with the 89 it just didn't feel the same as with 93, it might just be my imagination has anyone tested bike out like this. But i know for sure that the cheapo gas SUCKS, i dont get the same milage with the cheap gas.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ah the great old "which gas is better to use" question. this topic has been beat to death, raised from the dead violated then beaten to re dead time and time again. depending on your position you can find the lierature to support your claims (both pro/con) and it can be convincing. the trouble comes when people fill up with 87 one day burn through that and run premium and compare how the 2 different grade gas made their bike "perform". so many factors can contribute and influence the different runs that the only true way is by straping into a dyno.

Quick Reply: regular, mid-grade, or premium?