CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Really bad clonking noise in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really bad clonking noise in neutral

Hi there, first time posting, long time with my CBR600f3 1995.

SO heres the problem (sorry its a long post), if anyone has any ideas.

Bike was offroad for 5 years. New battery, started up, fuel flooded out. Carbs sludged up. Striped carbs, cleaned everything, bowls, floats, jets, etc. Put back, ran fine (albeit a little off sorts, sounds not quite as crisp as I once remember it). RPM 1500, let go of clutch lever in neutral, really load banging/clonking sounding like it's on a rotation. Vibrates through the whole bike. Clutch in, perfectly quiet, clutch out, clonking! RPM 3k, sounds alright I think, less vibration certainly.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Stripped clutch down and replaced the basket (with a secondhand one of eBay - fingers were a little grooved but seemed passable). Put back stack - CLONKING

2. Stripped clutch down, replaced friction plates and uprated springs - CLONKING.

3. Replace the cct with a manual version - CLONKING

So, no joy so far! Prior to the bike being off the road, it ran fine, no clonking. Carbs cleaned, now the noise.

Any ideas?

I guess new (secondhand) basket may also be broken? (but I'm not convinced my original was broke)

Maybe something wrong with the gearbox - clonking only appears while in neutral. Have rode it a little and didn't hear/feel the noise while in 1st riding around the street, did while in neutral.

I read somewhere that having unbalanced carbs (maybe mine are because of the cleaning) can make bad noises/vibrations due to stress? Again it's not making it while the clutch is pulled in.

I'm kinda at the end with it, so if anyone can offer some suggestions (that don't involve scrapping it, although that is a possibility right now) then I would appreciate it.

Many thanks for reading.
Tony